What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of tobacco you add to make the Urban Cowboy? I'm liking the Cowboy Coffee. Urban Cowboy is a cool name, it's one of my favorite movies!
Urban Cowboy is roughly 65% SWR, 20% black cavendish, and 15% McBaren ODF. Not by weight but proportions. I just eyeball it. You can adjust to taste. Up the % of ODF to get Round Up. Cut back on the black cavendish for Cattle Drive.

Good Afternoon my friends. Late start for me today, but I'm going to fill a bowl of Condor in a Petersons Liscannor XL90. And continue listening to LOTRs The return of the King on Audible. Have a great day everyone 😀
20230831_113213.jpg

Good morning everyone. Urban Cowboy in the huge Don Carlos bent dublin with morning coffee. Charlie sitting in my lap. Life is good, at least right now. Lol. Heading out to the ranch in a bit. Don't remember if I told you guys but I joined a group called Bethanys Gait. It's a horse therapy program for veterans and first responders who may be suffering from PTSD. We mentor them, teach them about horses and train them to ride. It's a rewarding endeavor. I get to help vets and spend time with horses, 2 of my favorite things. PS, got a new dishwasher ordered, a Bosch. Almost a grand by the time you add in installation, 3 years of warranty, tax, etc. Sheesh. Oh well, at least wife will be happy, lol. Have a great day BoBs.

Good morning everybody. This morning I had about half a bowl of Daughters & Ryan Three Sails. Never smoked a shag cut before, very easy to light. I didn't know if the sweetness I was getting was from the Virginia or a ghost from an aermoatic I had smoked previously. I need another pipe. Probably a few.
I have a quick question for you all. When you only get half way through a bowl, how long will you let it sit in the pipe before you empty it out should you not get around to finishing it? Its pretty dry here and a few hours sitting in a pipe can make tobacco bone dry here and I'm not sure if it matters.

I have a quick question for you all. When you only get half way through a bowl, how long will you let it sit in the pipe before you empty it out should you not get around to finishing it? Its pretty dry here and a few hours sitting in a pipe can make tobacco bone dry here and I'm not sure if it matters.
Good Question Gaius.
Personally for myself, if I don't have the time for a full bowl, I tend not to light up in the first place. Also I tend to choose the size of pipe, that would suit the length of time I intend to smoke it. But that's just me, it's still an excellent question, and one I'm looking forward to reading the answers.

It's turned out to be a right miserable day in Ye olde not so Merry England today. Drizzly rain and dark sky's. I know I can hear you all asking "what's new". But it's disappointing after such gorgeous weather that we have enjoyed lately.
But I digress, I've just filled a bowl of Rangers Urban Cowboy, in a Parker 045 bent billiard. Now to continue listening on Audible 🤫

When you only get half way through a bowl, how long will you let it sit in the pipe before you empty it out should you not get around to finishing it
There's a pipe smoking technique named Delayed Gratification Technique or DGT that you can look up. Essentially you light up the pipe and smoke maybe the top quarter and let it go out. Let it sit a few hours or overnight, remove the ash, level the tobacco, and, light it up. I frequently let bowls sit overnight and finish them while doing morning chores.

Good morning everybody. This morning I had about half a bowl of Daughters & Ryan Three Sails. Never smoked a shag cut before, very easy to light. I didn't know if the sweetness I was getting was from the Virginia or a ghost from an aermoatic I had smoked previously. I need another pipe. Probably a few.
Hello Mr. G Marius - top o' the morning. Your question regarding how long to leave a tobacco pipe loaded... there is a whole school of thought about this. Virginia based tobaccos tend to do well if not better when on the drier side. Some pipers have embraced a "technique" called DGT - Delayed Gratification Technique. This is basically letting a full pipe "rest" between smokes for up to a day or even two before calling it good/emptying the bowl and ending the affair. I have seen va/pers do well this technique. I will fire up the pipe, smoke for a while, put it down for a few hours. Come back to it. Put it down for a few hours/half a day/sometimes even the next day. I have seen some tobaccos respond extremely well to this - basically noticeable improvements in flavor as the tobacco gets air time. Some blends I don't notice a whole lot of change but am able to enjoy a single pipe over the course of a day/evening/morning. Essentially this comes down to personal preference for each piper, so this is completely subjective. Basically it comes down to each of us to smoke what we like, and to like what we smoke. So in the end there is no "wrong way"/"right way." Your only map to navigate all of this is your own personal palate and preferences, which can only be sussed out over time and with experimentation. Your mileage will likely vary greatly. Currently I am enjoying a rather large bowl of Sansepolcro - a Virginia based blend. I will likely be puffing on this off and on through the day and into the evening. Cheers to the day.

There's a pipe smoking technique named Delayed Gratification Technique or DGT that you can look up. Essentially you light up the pipe and smoke maybe the top quarter and let it go out. Let it sit a few hours or overnight, remove the ash, level the tobacco, and, light it up. I frequently let bowls sit overnight and finish them while doing morning chores.
I've done that, but not on purpose, and didn't know it had a name, lol. But yes, smoking the rest later is never bad, unless you smoke too far down.

When this happens to me (having a partial bowl waiting to finish), I tend to layer another tobacco (not too radically different) to fill the bowl. Then just relight and smoke on my merry way!! Makes for an interesting transition from the top layer to the bottom!!! FWIW, FTRPLT

This morning I did a quick application of weed and feed to the lawn. Then I enjoyed the morning ritual: KBV Burley Morning Pipe in the Jansen's N.O. bent volcano with saddle stem, a cup of coffee, and a book. Out and about now doing errands.

Attachments

• 20240518_082509.jpg
    20240518_082509.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am a third of the way through this bowl of year 2021 Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink. Watching Aerial America.
4AB_Ebony.jpg