Anyone try Kajun Kake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a blend that I am also interested in hearing what others think. Ill be following this one.

KK is damn good stuff. I have a few tins waiting for me. The first time I tried it was a super fresh tin something like a month after it was tinned... I decided to put it in a jar for a while and it was much better ~8 months later. That's why I'm waiting on the other tins to age a bit before enjoying them.

I can recommend it however I almost feel like it's not an ideal blend to start with if you've never tried perique before. Something like luxury Navy flake might be a better first encounter. Personally, I love perique and can't seem to get enough. Some other smokers have noted that C&D's perique seems a bit "harsh". Not sure if I agree with that statement but so far the C&D VAper blends I've tried are not exactly for the neophyte... I enjoy more than a few of them though.

It couldn't hurt to grab a few tins and smoke a bowl and if you don't really like it at first jar it up and play the waiting game...

I have some and smoke it rarely. It's not your usual tobacco but doesn't especially wow me.

I would also have to agree that if you want to try perique, this would be an odd first choice. The first thing that comes to my mind is GLP's Stratford which is a Virginia-Perique mixture (not flake). Without any latakia or casings, the perique is highlighted so you can focus on it.

KK is delicious, but I've got to agree with the others -- this is not a good one to start with. Here's a few suggestions, if you've never tried perique before, that are at least good or better:

GL Pease's Filmore (I think this is the best perique-VA blend on the market, and it's suitable as an introduction, too, IMO)
C&D Exhausted Rooster
C&D Pennington Gap

I didn't care for it. It's a bit rough around the edges, as are most C&D VA blends IMO. C&D burleys are great though! :D

I find it to be not to my liking - it is not your average blend of this genre as some have pointed out. However, tobacco preference is an individual thing as you are probably finding out - one man's junk is another man's treasure.