Birth Year Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

Reaction score
Lets see 'em!!

Here's mine. Tiny Dunhill group 1 - 1978.

004-002-5075.jpg

How do yall find a pipe in a particular year like that. Mine would be 1959. Ive looked and just havent come across my year yet. Most of the pipes I like seem to have some discrepensy on exact years.

yeah, I too am curious as to how to find a birth year pipe.
I guess it would just take time, until one popped up.?

plumbernater":w3sbxsca said:
How do yall find a pipe in a particular year like that. Mine would be 1959. Ive looked and just havent come across my year yet. Most of the pipes I like seem to have some discrepensy on exact years.
Just keep checkin' the Bay.
Don't be in a hurry, the right one will come up.
I got both of mine for about $300.

Here's a good site for deciphering the code.
Dunhill dating

Hermit":gaf2zcns said:
plumbernater":gaf2zcns said:
Just keep checkin' the Bay.
Don't be in a hurry, the right one will come up.
I got both of mine for about $300.

Here's a good site for deciphering the code.
Dunhill dating
Well, if Dunhill's are the only ones we can determine exact date of manufacturing on I reckon I'll never have a birth date pipe. They may be nice pipes but not my cup of tea and way over priced as far as I'm concerned.

Picked mine up at smokingpipes.com (as you can see from the picture). They had a great sale on Dunhill pipes in the summer so I grabbed a few. I think it was only around $140 so it wasn't off the charts. Frankly speaking, every pipeman should have at least one Dunhill in his collection. Birthyear pipes don't have to be Dunhill however they really are one of the few that can date down to a specific year.

jacko":7iva2ncc said:
Birthyear pipes don't have to be Dunhill however they really are one of the few that can date down to a specific year.
No, that's not true. You haven't read the rules. :lol!:

Simple Man":q86u1y76 said:
riff raff":q86u1y76 said:
Marty at Pulvers Briar always seems to have some decently priced Dunhills:
http://www.pulversbriar.com/english.html
Thanks for that link... the other day I was searching everywhere looking for it and could not remember it for anything. This time I bookmarked it. 8)
He seems to have some surprisingly low prices on certain pipes, and has a sterling reputation, a good one to save.

Most English pipes with silver bands will be hallmarked.

Hallmark = date coded.

:face:

I agree you can date them through the silver hallmarks but, most stopped using datable hallmarks in the late 1920's - 30's so we're left with the same problem if your younger then 76 years old.

It took me a while to find mine. Even then, I had to contact various people to figure out the dating on the new-era Caminetto's. If I would have been born in the 60s-70s, I would have been out of luck dating any type of Caminetto. Luckily, that is not the case for the new-era Caminetto's because I have no desire to own a Dunhill.