CBSA saga at an end...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singed

DON'T PANIC!
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
...or is it? For those of you who recall my tirade against an outrageous $625 duty I was levied on a shipment of <2 lbs of tobacco and sundry pipe supplies earlier this summer, I got excellent news today from the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency). I have been refunded $298.54 for an exorbitantly overtaxed shipment I received in June, maybe July. Unfortunately, there was no explanation of how they erred or any information regarding the application of taxes, duties, and tariffs on tobacco ordered internationally. Just a cheque. Evidently I do have some inkling of the goings-on at the customs office or they wouldn't have refunded me.

Moral of the story: investigate unusual/irregular occurrences with your orders, wherever you are. Be a knowledgeable and discerning consumer. Do not expect "the man" to teach you. They are legally obliged to publish the information but they have no responsibility to lead you to it or explain it.

Last edited:
...or is it? For those of you who recall my tirade against an outrageous $625 duty I was levied on a shipment of <2 lbs of tobacco and sundry pipe supplies earlier this summer, I got excellent news today from the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency). I have been refunded $298.54 for an exorbitantly overtaxed shipment I received in June, maybe July. Unfortunately, there was no explanation of how they erred or any information regarding the application of taxes, duties, and tariffs on tobacco ordered internationally. Just a cheque. Evidently I do have some inkling of the goings-on at the customs office or they wouldn't have refunded me.

Moral of the story: investigate unusual/irregular occurrences with your orders, wherever you are. Be a knowledgeable and discerning consumer. Do not expect "the man" to teach you. They are legally obliged to publish the information but they have no responsibility to lead you to it or explain it.
Good on you Singed a win(y) Customs here now just keep and destroy any and all tobacco seized from mail :(:mad: they used to send tax invoice giving you the option not anymore.