Ever think about grinding yer own?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking this afternoon about what Old Gowrie would be like in snuff form. I think a grinder is an imperative to get it that fine.

I was thinking Semois. And wondering about a dozen others. Plus, Mr S is touting a number of flavored pigtails/twists for the same purpose...or as chew or in a bowl. Versatile stuff, that.

I've run across a few people who ground their own snuff from pipe tobaccos that had been allowed to try a bit...my understanding is that aromatics generally work best, and the result is they generally turn out better as a snuff than as a pipe blend (not surprising, when you think about it...I mean, you're actually getting to smell all of the topping/casing that burns off early on in a bowl). From there, there seems to be a natural step towards blending multiple pipe blends together and playing around.

I've always thought it sounded like fun, and I'll probably get around to picking up a small grinder at some point (I'd like to try my hand at pipe blending one day, too, actually).

Blackhorse":g2fdn7kq said:
I'm no expert in snuff, but that's not a snuff grinder - it's a pot grinder.

Once the tobacco is small enough to drop through the holes into the lower chamber - you will not be able to get it smaller. And I don't predict much will make it through the screen - especially a cased aromatic.

82nd Avenue tobacco has several of those types of grinders for inspection.

I've read that once the first grind is completed you can invert the thing and do it again to get it finer. If nothing else this would prep a chunk of flake or pigtail or whatever for final grinding with a proper machine.

I have a nice small vibratory unit made for rock polishing. Maybe that could finish the job. Using ball bearings you say? Seems counterintuitive in a way, but whatever.

tslots":n37xcfch said:
Hey, it's all ball bearings nowadays.    
And don't forget the 3 in 1 oil and gauze pads.

:rabbit:
I appreciate the reference.