Fooling a Digger Wasp

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
This has to be one of my favorite examples of hardwired behavior and tricking the process into starting over. The Digger Wasp (Sphex Wasp) has a very hardwired process when it comes to catching prey and bringing it into its nest in the ground. It always follows the steps to the letter but you can trick it into starting over the process as follows. The wasp when returning with its prey will leave the prey just outside the nest, it goes into the nest to make sure it's clear then it comes back out, grabs the prey and brings it into the nest. A scientist discovered that you can trick the wasp into starting over by doing the following. When the wasp comes back with its prey it leaves it outside the nest, then it goes into the nest, while inside the nest you move the prey a few inches, the wasp comes back out to find it's prey missing, it looks around, finds the prey and brings it back to the opening of the nest and again leaves it and goes into the nest to make sure the coast is clear, while it's in the nest you move the prey a few inches, the wasp comes out, finds the prey missing, moves it back to the opening of the nest, leaves it, goes into the nest. The wasp is compelled to check the nest every time if you move the prey every time it goes inside the nest to make sure it's clear and will never break the cycle of checking.

Oldie but a goodie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXLigFEri98

Hmmm, try it long enough and he just might get pissed and go after the source of his frustration... :roll:

:lol!: :lol!:

That's actually pretty fascinating. I wonder how many times I could trick my friends this way...

While I found the video very interesting, I thought that it was also a little more interesting that the video was "Originally broadcast as The Royal Institution Christmas Lectures for Children" What would Santa Claus have done?

One way that I know my brain is bigger and more sophisticated than the wasp's, is that I remember where I have lost things in the past...so...when I've lost my eye glasses for instance, I check all those places; ie. the freezer compartment of my refrigerator, behind the TV set, in my clothes closet, etc. Having a big, sophisticated brain clearly helps. To date though, I have not lost a grasshopper.

Steve

Hmmm....I think we may have Digger Wasps working at the Post Office. I'll try this with a change of address form and report my findings.

Dottleman":g5ry07ql said:
Hmmm....I think we may have Digger Wasps working at the Post Office. I'll try this with a change of address form and report my findings.
Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. :lol:

Morning. I can't find the research online right now, but I remember hearing how we all create deep patterns in our brain, because of repetitive or routine tasks. I guess that's who mother nature does it. Create deep patterns in the brain to create the "instinct" in animals. Interesting stuff.

MartinH":nj0crc6h said:
Morning. I can't find the research online right now, but I remember hearing how we all create deep patterns in our brain, because of repetitive or routine tasks. I guess that's who mother nature does it. Create deep patterns in the brain to create the "instinct" in animals. Interesting stuff.
Very true, Martin!! I was talking recently with a buddy of mine who is studying psychology. He was saying that our thought "habits" become programmed at an organic level. That certain synaptic routes become like a well used paths in the mind. Puts a new spin on obsessive thought for sure. LOL.