German Ulmer Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
After reading a recent article in Pipes and Tobaccos magazine, I am certainly fascinated with these pipes that are without a doubt, works of art. I suspect that they are truly collectible and therefore expensive to own.

I was wondering if anyone here might possibly have one in their collection, or know of a current pipe carver who makes reproductions?

UlmerPipe-1.jpg

ulmer-double.jpg

Some other gorgeous examples of Ulmer pipes. Interestingly enough, Ulm Germany is the birth place of Albert Einstein.

ulm-bakers-workshop.jpg

ulm-guilloched-silvermounting.jpg

ulm-tabakspfeife-wappen.jpg

ulmvorm20steel.jpg

Ulmer-antique-wooden-smoking-pipe-silver-mounted.jpg

ulm-wappen.jpg

Ulmer-gesteckpfeife-holz-jachtabbildung.jpg

Ulmer-tobacco-pipe-bird-spread-wings.jpg

Ulmer-J-hoog20puntdeksel.jpg

Ulmer-J-dubbele20ketel.jpg

One step from full regimental? They do have a neat novelty appeal, would be cool to have one for display. I wonder how something like that would actually smoke with todays tobacco though? Maybe a fat slice of rope, slowly smoldered.

I have one that belonged to my grandfather. It is probably post-war. It is not anywhere near as well crafted, and beautiful as the ones you posted here.

I was told he enjoyed smoking it. He had been deceased 15 yrs when the pipe was given to me. I tried it a few times out of curiosity and to commune with him. As I recall, it was a bad smoke. However I was very young and had no idea about sanitizing a pipe, so of course it tasted foul.

.....I'l post a pic here when I get home tonight.

Very interesting! I'd be interested in a nice reproduction.

Rob_In_MO":ukwr35ca said:
Very Cool!

Of course i'd have to try one out, just for the hell of it.
Would it be BCAQ?