Jim's Lane Limited Ready Rubbed Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
The burley is nutty with a molasses and cocoa taste. The Virginia is far in the background, and is sweet with some grassiness. The toppings amplify the molasses and cocoa, the latter being a little more prominent than the former. Burns well, even and cool with a consistent flavor that lasts to the finish. Very few relights needed. No dottle and hardly any moisture is left in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste.

Comparing this to the original and the Sutliff ERR Match, I note a few differences. Sutliff's is more of a coarse cut. The original was a cube cut, and Lane’s version is small cut flakes, all of which will effect the blends’ respective burn rates. All have the same flavors, though I notice the molasses in Sutliff's is slightly less deeper in taste than the original. The molasses in Lane's has nearly the same depth of flavor as the ERR. Lane states that they are using the original recipe, but after spending a few days smoking all three incarnations, my perception is that Lane’s has just a little more cocoa than the original does, which lightly lessens the effect of the molasses. It also has a little more PG than the original, but that mostly disappears by the half way point.

The Sutliff ERR Match is just about as close as the Lane version is to the original. It has a shade less cocoa than the Lane product, but the amount of molasses is virtually the same, and the Match could fool many smokers into thinking it was the original in a blind taste test. Lane’s version could easily be mistaken in the same kind of test, too, though the slightly deeper cocoa notes might give it away if you are spending time looking for it.

Very nice review or reviews, in a way. I found this very interesting. Thanks.

Thank you, JimInks. So now I'm on the hook for a tub of Edgeworth clone. I half-expected you or someone to say that they bore no resemblance to the original. I'll add it to the tub of EGR that I also have on the hook. The little tin I got of the latter disappeared rather quickly. I like this old OTC stuff, kind of a go-to when I'm irresolute. Never disappointed for having done so.

Richard Burley":xdhpf5l0 said:
Thank you, JimInks. So now I'm on the hook for a tub of Edgeworth clone. I half-expected you or someone to say that they bore no resemblance to the original. I'll add it to the tub of EGR that I also have on the hook. The little tin I got of the latter disappeared rather quickly. I like this old OTC stuff, kind of a go-to when I'm irresolute. Never disappointed for having done so.
I wasn't sure what to expect when I discovered that Lane chose to do a small flake cut rather then cube cut it as the original was. That was disappointing to me. However, I like the flavor, it's close - not perfect - and Lane did use the original formula, which helped. I like the Sutliff Match, too.

Looking forward to trying this one. Although I am always shy when I read about the presence of PG. Nice review, Jim..

DrumsAndBeer":j6m82giy said:
Looking forward to trying this one. Although I am always shy when I read about the presence of PG. Nice review, Jim..
Thanks. The PG isn't strong at all, but I did notice it early in the smoke, but then vanishes. I honestly don't think it's much to worry about, but I did have to mention that it's there.

I never had the chance to try the original ERR, so I will know that by buying either Sutliff's or Lane's version, I will have a taste of almost the real thing.

Which is good, as I loooove Burley. :cheers:

Hey Jim thanks for another informative, well written review. I'm going to have to try this one. I sometimes smoked this blend many years ago.

I've never had the original, but I am a fan of Sutliff Match. When I place my next order, I'll be ordering a tin of Lane.

I bought a tub yesterday. It's a bit risky, considering I'm buying 14oz rather than a couple, but I think I will enjoy it. If it lacks some nicotine, there's nothing some C & D Burley Flake can't do to fix this. :D

Reviving this old thread from the archives.

Anyone have any LLRR and want to give their take?

I have always liked the idea of finding a good OTC like "mowing the lawn" smoke, or one that I could smoke while doing something else and don't want to pay too much attention to it.

I like CH and PA but never stuck with them for long. Good, but not great.
Storm Front is my go to for now.

Fight'n Hampsters":f79d774t said:
...I like CH and PA but never stuck with them for long.  Good, but not great.
Betcha five bucks your results with this would be the same. ;)

Richard Burley":bxv29pmi said:
Fight'n Hampsters":bxv29pmi said:
...I like CH and PA but never stuck with them for long.  Good, but not great.
Betcha five bucks your results with this would be the same. ;)
That is what i have been thinking...

I may be looking for to much in a "lawn mowing" blend...slightly complex and tasty but cheap on the pocket book. :D

It sounds like, from the reviews that the chocolate taste is prominent. Any one vouch for this? I like the molasses flavor i pick up in CH and think that some choco on top of that would be good.

Many years ago, a friend of mine's father, a transplant from Britain, used to mow lawns for a few people as a second income, or perhaps as a favor. Anyhow, I can still see him (in my skull) walking behind an old mower, puffing away on a pipe. He was NEVER without that pipe, other than laying it aside for meals--and sleep, I assume. His tobacco, always: Sir Walter Raleigh.

Personally, for the outdoors, whether hiking, mowing lawns, or shooting, my choice would be chaw. Makes me feel ornery, bastard-like, and wimmin think it's sexy. ;)

WOW! Redman brings back some memories! My dad chewed that. I went through a chaw phase and partook of Red Man and Levi Garret.

DrumsAndBeer":7m6dgx2g said:
What does PG stand for please :oops:

Propylene Glycol (PG) used to keep moisture locked in, to act as an anti mold/fungel additive. It's also used as an antifreeze ingredient.

I don't care what anyone says. Red Man had a great "purist" tobacco flavor. Same for their plug. I chewed on occasion when I played baseball. Is it still made?

Yep. Most places that sell cigarettes around here sell it, along with a few other brands.