My cousin just bought me my first pipe! [Now with pics!]

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCarpet

Reaction score
Update: the pictures are a few posts down.

He knew I'd been thinking of getting into pipe smoking for a while now (never smoked cigs regularly), so he bought me a cheapy little pipe for Christmas.

This is the pipe here from Lucienne.

It has a stinger, which I've been advised to remove, and the inside of the bowl is covered in some kind of a black shell, which I assume is to help the bowl from being damaged. If anyone could confirm what this black layer is it would be much appreciated :)

I was hoping someone whose used a similarly priced Lucienne pipe might shed some insight, a review, or any advice they might like to give. I still have to hit the shop to pick up some tobacco (and probably a corn cob while I'm there), but I figured I'd ask a few questions here in the mean while.

Either way, I look forward to being more active in the community as my pipe hobby (hopefully) grows!

I don't have any experience with that brand, but usually someone else here will. Welcome to the forum!

I don't have any Lucienne pipes but I know a lot of cheap non wood pipes that you see at the drug store etc have a metal liner on the inside of the bowl that is sometimes black. I don't know if thats what you are talking about or not. I don't really understand why the put metal inside the pipe bowl I assume it is because the non wood material doesn't do so well with high heat? If the shell you are talking about has a hole at the bottom for air I guess it is suppose to be there and I wouldn't take it out. Let us know how it turns out. :)

Welcome to the forum. Can you post up a picture for us of the pipe?

Go get yourself a real pipe so your entry into this hobby isn't Disappointing. That pipe is for the snowman in the yard. If you've been thinking bout it for a while, find a decent piece and some good baccies ( or even a corncobs pipe) and start yourself off right.

I agree with the previous post. I'd still try the pipe you have, as I bought a cheapy. But I had such a bad experience with it that it took me years until my wife bought me a nice starter pipe for me to finally have a really good bowl. It's a great hobby! Welcome to the fold brother and welcome to the boards.

I'm definitely planning on picking up a corn cob, rather than start off with this one. I took some (bad) pictures with my phone, though:

Here's a shot of just the pipe, being held up by some BuckyBalls, the only thing I had lying around
2011-01-18033153.jpg

And here's the pipe taken apart, with that little metal thing (apparently called a "stinger"?)
2011-01-18033223.jpg

Closeup of the metal thing
2011-01-18033255.jpg

Some shots of the stuff covering the inside of the bowl
2011-01-18033335.jpg

2011-01-18033352.jpg

That looks a lot like a cheap pipe my cousin tried when he first started. It's a softer wood, but not briar and won't last long. Plus, the smell/taste of that soft wood mixing with your tobacco is most unpleasant.

If I were you, i'd put it aside and try to get a real pipe. Tobacco stores often have Basket Pipes that are inexpensive and smoke pretty well - sometimes good when starting out, as you don't want to spend a large amount of money until you are sure that pipe smoking is for you.

At the very least, a MM Corncob - but i'd be more inclined to get a good Basket pipe (or worst-case a Dr. Grabow).

You didn't mention, what tobacco do you plan to try first? I'm from the old school (taught by my father and grand-father) - you start with Captain Black. Just the way I was taught, and not a suggestion for you - but it isn't too bad an OTC blend.

If you visit a good tobacco store, they could make a good recommendation for you.

Good luck, brother!

Gotta agree with Rob, looks like a very low end pipe. The varnish/paint won't breath, they slopped it into the chamber, and it looks like some soft wood that will burn and burn out. A MM Country Gentleman for about the same price will be a much better smoker. Check on eBay, you should be able to get a decent, used pipe for not too much.

Hate to "dis" this gift pipe, but trying to smoke any tobacco in a poorly designed and made pipe is destined to fail and dissuade you from our gentle art. Get a better pipe and you'll find everything will taste better in it.

Natch