old tobacco at antique shops?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogbert

Reaction score
i found a couple boxes of "sir Walter Raleigh" pipe tobacco at a local antique shop.
they are completely unopened, however i do not know the year they were made.

could this be a potentially good purchase? ($5 a box/pouch)

I bought these for $3.50 each, on sale, they were $5 LOL

382823695.jpg

382823642.jpg

382817294.jpg

382817289.jpg

382817297.jpg

Jeffrey

mainly i'm concerned with the possibility of staleness. can this occur in pouches that are quite old?

I recently got 3 pouches of Revelation that had been put away back in the 70's. All three still had the cellophane wrappers fully intact on the outside of the box. I opened one just to check on it and the foil pouch was still sealed. When I opened it the tobacco was still moist and smelled fresh, no mold or mustiness. I haven't been in a mood to give it a try but I expect it is fine. I also just last week cracked a 1 lb tin of Walnut from the same era (a lever-topped paint can, not a modern vacuum sealed) and it was fine, very intense aroma. When I emptied out the tin to jar the tobacco the bottom was a little dry and I did find one pin-hole in the bottom of the tin. I figured I just salvaged the tobacco in time.