Recommendation request

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
Looking for a Virginia/Burley blend with no Latakia, Perique or Orientals. Preferably available in tins. I want the sweet and the nutty withouth the smoky or spicy.

I know there are plenty out there, just trying to narrow the field a little and thought I would ask the brothers for their particular choices.

TIA

-Adam

GL Pease comes close with Barbary Coast but it has a touch of perique. A combination I have yet to try but just might do the trick is GL Pease Union Square, a wonderfully pure Virginia and Uhles Perfection Plug Burly, in my opinion about the best cubed cut burley on the planet. I look forward to hearing other recommendations.

Really the only one close I can think of is GL Pease Montgomery. It's always best for me when I have nothing else to do and can concentrate on getting the best from it.

Thanks fellas. I actually have both of those already lined up for the future as I try to make my way through the neverending GLP lineup. I suspect that Montgomery may be one that can fit the bill, but have not gotten to it yet. May have to pop a tin to see if it can gimme the fix I am looking for.

I love Reiner Long Golden Flake. It has a touch of Perique but not enough to be distracting. One of my all time favorites. Another one I like is C&D Exhausted Rooster.

I am pretty sure University Flake is a va/bur mixture. If you have not tried it yet, you most assuredly should -- it is a classic blend that is one of my personal faves. Strong and fairly full bodied (medium- strong bodied?) in the flavor department, good nic hit, easy packing and smoking, sweet but certainly not cloying, and has a wonderful tin and room note. Exhausted Rooster is very good as well, but significantly sweeter than UF. Keep us updated on your exploration/journey!

Word. Thanks guys. I will add some Uni flake and exh rooster to my next tobacco order. LFG & TBR too if I can find a place that has 'em all.

Here's a description of Reiner Professional:

"A blend with the finest Virginia and Burley leaf. Black Cavendish, enriched with the extracts of Hickory nuts. This blend is first seasoned for weeks in Oaked whisky barrels, then blended with bright Virginia and flavored with tropical fruits."

I wouldn't smoke it any more than once every two to three days, but it definitely knocks my socks off.

:farao:

Certainly sounds interesting, guess I will have to give it a shot. Thanks!

My vote is for Exhausted Rooster. Outstanding in that category! IMHO it is the best blend that C&D has come out with in quite a while.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Orlik "Golden Sliced"! It's one of the best blends of this genre available and it's relatively dirt cheap! I just bought (12) 100g tins of it from pipesandcigars for around $11.00 per tin! I'm enjoying some right now in an old Stanwell acorn....

Danish_Pipe_Guy":rwyeva0r said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Orlik "Golden Sliced"! It's one of the best blends of this genre available and it's relatively dirt cheap! I just bought (12) 100g tins of it from pipesandcigars for around $11.00 per tin! I'm enjoying some right now in an old Stanwell acorn....
Dock (and others). Stonehaven has not been mentioned in this thread yet although it does match Frostie's search. I have been looking for a replacement for this impossible to find blend. Was wondering how the Orlik GS would fit. Presumably not the N kick, but how about the balance of Va vs burley in the blend? I've smoked U Flake and don't find it very close.

Thanks. Mike

Danish_Pipe_Guy":ty7n1ztq said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Orlik "Golden Sliced"!
I actually had two tins of that in my cart the last time I ordered as I have been meaning to try it, but removed them for some reason that I can't remember now and was probably a dumb reason anyway.

Why don't we have a kicking myself emoticon?

G&H's Garsmereflake if you can get, and if you can tellme!Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: