Reducing indoor smell/staining

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vandal

Reaction score
Has anyone had success with air purifiers or other tech in the room to remove smell or staining? Any tips? Silent exhaust fan perhaps? What’s worked?

The wife isn’t as big a fan as I am, so I’m for now a mosquito and humidity smoker in the summer and a snow and ice smoker in the winter, but I think with the proper setup proposal she may find it tolerable to have it indoors on occasion.

Welcome to the forum.

I cannot answer your questions with any certainty but staying near an exhaust fan and blowing your smoke through it would have to reduce the smell~staining to some degree.
You can tell her that I said "It reduces the staining by up to 90%." so long as you know that I actually have no idea.

If you’re going to filter smoke and tar out of a volume of interior air it’s going to take X amount of filter media and substantial power to move the air through the filters. Obviously depends on the room size…amount of smoke, etc. Commercial units I’ve seen installed in cigar bars were about as big as a ‘67 VW Beetle and as loud as a MAC Truck. You can’t beat physics.

Instead of filtering air you could remove it. Trade it. Like a box fan in an open window to expel smoke filled air with an opening elsewhere in the room to admit fresh air. It works pretty well if you’re close to the exhaust thing and turn it on and off as needed. You know, if it’s-20F outside it’s got those issues too. No free lunch.

A nice fireplace that’s burning and drafting the smoke up the chimney?

Someone else’s house?

Good luck.

I use a Berger when the air gets thick. Positive ventilation is the simplest solution, I use one room as my "den" and vent it to the exterior. As BH said it is easy to do with even a small box fan in the window. Close the main circulation vent to the room to prevent disruption of your intended airflow, the window fan will draw cool or warm air into the room for you through the door as it pushes your smoke outside.. Added bonus: having a "den" can increase the enjoyment of your smoking by offering you seclusion.

Thanks much for the welcomes and the advice. Actually I was here 10 years back but misplaced my account. Coming back after having once again picked up pipes.

Fireman - actually I did indeed have a thought to build myself a smoking shed… 1/3 tool shed, 1/3 writing hut, 1/3 pipe shelter.

Thanks much for the welcomes and the advice. Actually I was here 10 years back but misplaced my account. Coming back after having once again picked up pipes.

Fireman - actually I did indeed have a thought to build myself a smoking shed… 1/3 tool shed, 1/3 writing hut, 1/3 pipe shelter.
Do it. I have a basement man cave and a shop. I smoke out in the shop in cold weather or real hot weather. I have heat/ac from the house but my wife never smells it.

I just use a pedestal stand fan near me and point it to an open window or door. Works well for me. (y)

1719183193572.png

I smoke my pipe right in the living room. The edge of the couch where I always sit has a window about 2 inches away. I put a box fan in the window and crack the window about 3 inches and the smoke gets sucked right out. Once in a while when my son wants to smell the smoke I'll turn the fan off but I don't smoke real stinky blends. I can't stand English or Balkan blends. I smoke mostly burley and some Virginia's. The only smelly stuff I smoke is some Lakelands.