"Revised" my pipe rack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

West of the East and East of the West
Reaction score
I built this rack a year or so ago because the spaces between the pipes on commercially available racks were too small for the pipes I like, allowing them to bump and rub on each other. I based the height on a 3-tier rack I had, and after I built it I realized that it was too short for my pipes; I had to turn bent stems around backward to fit the pipes on all but the top row, so the bottom two rows made it hard to get the pipes out and they were hard to see. So this week I "rebuilt" it; now all the rows have enough height so that each pipe can be displayed as it should be, and I can arrange the pipes any way I want. No big deal, but not much going on here in the summer doldrums with temps are 95-100...

cwHcwJsl.jpg

I built this rack a year or so ago because the spaces between the pipes on commercially available racks were too small for the pipes I like, allowing them to bump and rub on each other. I based the height on a 3-tier rack I had, and after I built it I realized that it was too short for my pipes; I had to turn bent stems around backward to fit the pipes on all but the top row, so the bottom two rows made it hard to get the pipes out and they were hard to see. So this week I "rebuilt" it; now all the rows have enough height so that each pipe can be displayed as it should be, and I can arrange the pipes any way I want. No big deal, but not much going on here in the summer doldrums with temps are 95-100...

cwHcwJsl.jpg
Nice work Idle.

cwHcwJsl.jpg
This looks amazing! I am looking to build one. what are the base specs that you used...gaps between, height...etc.

I made mine to fit this spot on my desk so it could have been wider of course :)! I used 1/2" poplar with 1/4" poplar for the sides. Could have used fancier wood but it serves the purpose just fine. The "shelves" are 24" wide with the pipe spaces 2" on center. The stem slots are 1" and the bowl indentions are 1-3/8". Shelves are 4-3/4" deep, stem supports are 2-3/4" deep. I figured my longest pipe and made mine 6" clear between the shelves; with the pipes tilted back that works fine for me. The stem supports are 3-1/2" clear from the shelves. I think that covers it but let me know if you have any other questions. Here's an angled view. Good luck!

AgTo2Pxl.jpg

Last edited:
I made mine to fit this spot on my desk so it could have been wide of course :)! I used 1/2" poplar with 1/4" poplar for the sides. Could have used fancier wood but it serves the purpose just fine. The "shelves" are 24" wide with the pipe spaces 2" on center. The stem slots are 1" and the bowl indentions are 1-3/8". Shelves are 4-3/4" deep, stem supports are 2-3/4" deep. I figured my longest pipe and made mine 6" clear between the shelves; with the pipes tilted back that works fine for me. The stem supports are 3-1/2" clear from the shelves. I think that covers it but let me know if you have any other questions. Here's an angled view. Good luck!

AgTo2Pxl.jpg
Great looking rack Idle. What router bit type and size did you use for the bowl slots? I have some poplar I could use for one.

I made mine to fit this spot on my desk so it could have been wide of course :)! I used 1/2" poplar with 1/4" poplar for the sides. Could have used fancier wood but it serves the purpose just fine. The "shelves" are 24" wide with the pipe spaces 2" on center. The stem slots are 1" and the bowl indentions are 1-3/8". Shelves are 4-3/4" deep, stem supports are 2-3/4" deep. I figured my longest pipe and made mine 6" clear between the shelves; with the pipes tilted back that works fine for me. The stem supports are 3-1/2" clear from the shelves. I think that covers it but let me know if you have any other questions. Here's an angled view. Good luck!

AgTo2Pxl.jpg
Thank you @Idlefellow! Looks amazing! Taking notes and drawing the plans for mine. Great question @Swede! I don't have a router, looking for other options for the bowls.

I don't have a router either; I just used a 1-3/8" Forstner bit and made the holes about 3/8" deep. It works very well for most pipes; a few of them bottom out in the hole and can rock side to side. But then, the slots in the commercial racks I've owned never held every pipe just right either :rolleyes:.

I don't have a router either; I just used a 1-3/8" Forstner bit and made the holes about 3/8" deep. It works very well for most pipes; a few of them bottom out in the hole and can rock side to side. But then, the slots in the commercial racks I've owned never held every pipe just right either :rolleyes:.
Perfect! Thanks for the insights!

You might be able to improve the fit in the spots for the bowls by drilling the holes all the way through. I considered doing that but ultimately decided not to, and maybe I should have. Can always do it later I guess.

Nothing worse than having an old group photo with no names. Now you need to tell who's who.;) Great job!