So many pipes so few dollars...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tully76

Reaction score
I'm looking to start collectiong again and have a few beauties on my list at smokingpipes.com but im torn over a few things...I'm looking for a nudge in the right direction...

1. Castello or Cavicchi? (any other Italian's I should look at?)
2. American pipes...Tinsky seems to be a favorite. Neptune? Icarus? Any others?
3. Estate pipes...where are the best places to find them?

I'm on a working man's budget but I like the high grade pipes too damn much not to have just a few. Overall though I'd prefer to keep it in the $250 or less range.

Thanks in advance for any input.

If you're looking at high grades, the estate market is where your dollar will go furthest. As far as what to collect, older English marquees (Dunhill, Comoy, Charatan), and American artisans are where I would start. I see hundreds of pipes come through Smokers' Haven each week so I think I have a pretty good handle on what pipes are made well and are affordable. The "Great Danes" as I call them, (Eltang, Former, Chonowitsch, etc), are simply cost prohibitive even on the estate market.

The best places to get estates are:
Ebay (however it takes some knowledge and skill at the auction game to get a winner)
Smokers' Haven (a bit biased here, but we do a complete refurb on pipes before they are sold)
Smokingpipes.com
Pulvers' Briar (Marty has some really good prices, but the pipes aren't thoroughly cleaned)

Couple other web based storefronts for estates -

Viking Club Pipes - Nathan is a member here, and does an excellent job with making sure the pipe you buy is clean and ready to smoke.
Briar Blues - Mike is a wealth of knowledge on pipes and runs a great estate pipe business.

Two American carvers that I would recommend are Jesse Jones & Scottie Piersel. They are members here as well. I'd recommend them because I own a pipe from each of them and they are superbly crafted and the internals are very well engineered..

Thanks! Yes, the internals are quite important to me. Form follows function.

Tinsky, yes. Scottie as well.

Italians? I'd also look at Radice...several of their lines are amazing. My best smoking pipe is a Radice (Ra-dee-chay) accent on the middle. It's an oil cured, silk cut, twin bore, faux bamboo stem sorta apple/Dublin ish wonder pipe. It looks a lot like the one below...the shank is Briar carved to look like bamboo.

I got mine at Smoking Pipes online, a good source for estates...selection, selection, selection.

You would also be well served by Matia at the Viking Club website.

002-030-1074.jpg

ALL of the above regarding used pipes, calling them estates just raises the price, they are USED pipes! As far as custom or Artison pipes, I'm amazed that NO ONE has mentioned two of the BEST who are Brother's her, Brian Rowley of Growley Pipes and Kirk over in England of Briar Spirit !! I'll put their work up against ANY in the world today !! :twisted: :twisted:

Everyone calls a pipe that's been used an 'estate' pipe. It's common practice whether you like it or not...whether it reflects the normal meaning of 'estate' or not. If you start ranting about it you'll have a never ending crusade on your hands cause it ain't gonna stop.

monbla256":v2fxrlye said:
I'm amazed that NO ONE has mentioned two of the BEST who are Brother's her, Brian Rowley of Growley Pipes and Kirk over in England of Briar Spirit !!
I don't own a Growley, so I can't speak to his work other than to say that his pipes look fantastic, & I want one. However, they are hardly within the OP's 250.00 dollar budget. I also would have mentioned David Huber (DSH Pipes), but once again, on average well past the 250.00 mark.

I have one of Kirk's pipes, and it's a fantastic smoker. No slight on Kirk, but the OP specifically asked for "American artisan" recommendations.

As for Italian pipes, there's nothing to beat a Savinelli.  From cheap to very expensive, you can buy them with your eyes closed.

Estate pipes I buy form Chance Whittemore, Great Estate Pipes on eBay, Viking Club (10% off if you tell him you're a BoB) and Forrestmattia, eBay. The latter's got some nice pipes available on Buy It Now at this very moment.

Blackhorse":sgfgzlsx said:
Everyone calls a pipe that's been used an 'estate' pipe. It's common practice whether you like it or not...whether it reflects the normal meaning of 'estate' or not. If you start ranting about it you'll have a never ending crusade on your hands cause it ain't gonna stop.
I stand corrected!! I'll be sure and let my daughter know the difference so she can get MORE $s for my pipes when she sells them when I die !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":1ac0lmuq said:
Brian Rowley of Growley Pipes and Kirk over in England of Briar Spirit !! I'll put their work up against ANY in the world today !!
+1. Whilst it's fair to say I don't have a huge range of marques for comparison purposes, I am the proud owner of a Growley and a couple of BSPs. Point taken about price range, but can vouch for work of these pipe smiths. Treasured possessions indeed.

Tully, a few more recs on American Artisans - all of which are found on this board. In no particular order-

Cartaphilus (RD Pipes). Newish carver but full of talent. I have one of his creations and am very pleased. You can see his work in the DIY sub-forum. His prices are more than reasonable.

Boulder & Briar. Don't have one of his pipes yet, but aim to correct that. His blasts are very well executed. Our own Blackhorse just obtained his latest creation and has been singing it's praises. Again, his prices are incredible for what you're getting.

Ocelot (Jesse Jones). A very gifted artisan specializing in classic shapes. I have a commission from him, a classic Bulldog, that can stand head to head with any big name out there. He doesn't have a website (that I'm aware of), but has been known to take on commissions.

taharris (Todd). Well respected carver making a variety of styles. He has some currently available in the Town Crier.

DoverPipes. Another well respected carver with a great reputation. 

Tully, you could do much worse than to patronize one of these folks, or anyone else on this thread. And I also fully endorse estates from Viking Club Pipes. I've bought many from bro Mattia, and he does a great job on the refurbs. His descriptions are always spot on too. He's a stand up guy.

But also do seriously consider getting in the BoB '15 POTY from Mark Tinsky. I have 5 of his creations (and the '15 POTY on the way), and can highly recommend him!

Apologies to those I've overlooked. I'm sure there's a couple more.

Cheers,

RR

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful feedback. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Im currently in communications with Todd about making me a couple pipes and I'm going to put a Tinsky bob on my list for sure. I have admired Marks pipes for years and will own a few soon. Thanks everyone I really appreciate it.

...now on to the tobaccos. Lol!