Take a look at this piece of wood!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd jump on it, but I don't have any room for that huge ass shipping box it comes in,,,,:lol!:

Hey, it is discounted $567, so relatively speaking, its a great deal....
Could you really put a flame to a pipe that costly?

John,

This week I have seen two beautiful examples of the craft wend their way to your hands. I think you made a statement that a year ago, your collection was about three pipes? Now, if you consider, adding this one to the others makes perfectly good sense. You need to replenish the herd, and who better to appreciate such a pipe than someone who is not afraid to use it? If it fits your budget, I say go for it.

I saw that pipe as well. Grain is outstanding. Go for it; just defer that new car for a few more years, and tell your better half that public transport is good for exercise!!

NeroWolfe":r1xxfld7 said:
I saw that pipe as well. Grain is outstanding. Go for it; just defer that new car for a few more years, and tell your better half that public transport is good for exercise!!
I’ll tell you the honest truth - my wife is so good about my pipe obsession that if she knew that I wanted that pipe, she would be opening up dialogue with me exploring various options concerning how we could swing it. My pipe enthusiasm is matched by hers. She doesn’t smoke because she’s a runner, but she enjoys all this vicariously.

No, I’m afraid that pipe will have to be enjoyed by another.

Have a great day!

Airborne":8hoetf6x said:
I’ll tell you the honest truth - my wife is so good about my pipe obsession that if she knew that I wanted that pipe, she would be opening up dialogue with me exploring various options concerning how we could swing it. My pipe enthusiasm is matched by hers. She doesn’t smoke because she’s a runner, but she enjoys all this vicariously.

Have a great day!
I don't know John, but from what I have seen of your collection quality, I really do think that pipe needs a home in your collection. Think of it as a stray kitten or perhaps a little puppy. How could you turn something like that away? If you want, perhaps I could drop a few hints to your wife for you. Hey, just trying to help. :twisted:

The grain on that pipe is as close to perfect as anything I've ever seen. Seriously, it's just incredible; I don't think an artist could paint a more attractive pattern across the rim, bowl, and shank of a pipe.

That, my friend is a thing of beauty. But I do have to agree that it is not unique enough to justify it's price. If it were a $500 pipe, I would be all over it.

Buckshot":dvt3muuz said:
Airborne":dvt3muuz said:

Have a great day!
I don't know John, but from what I have seen of your collection quality, I really do think that pipe needs a home in your collection. Think of it as a stray kitten or perhaps a little puppy. How could you turn something like that away? If you want, perhaps I could drop a few hints to your wife for you. Hey, just trying to help. :twisted:
On a teacher's pension, I'd have to sell all my other pipes in order to afford this one! Thanks for the offer! :lol:

That's a one-in-a-million piece of briar, and the guy absolutely nailed the pipe placement in it. 3,000 worth? I dunno, but that's a rarer piece of pipecrafting than you guys are mostly admitting, in my opinion.

It's not a hugely unusual shape, but to get such a long pipe, so finely symmetric.... well, show me another like it??

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

On a teacher's pension, I'd have to sell all my other pipes in order to afford this one!
DO IT!

I agree with the hairy fellow, the shape may not be unique, but it's excellently executed on a piece of briar that is unique. DO IT!

In all seriousness, the pipe is beautiful. Maybe it’s even one in a million. The straight grain off set by the birds eye is astonishing. When the pipe darkens out, it's going to be even more so. But I agree with many of the comments; I couldn’t justify spending that much money for one pipe. Whether the pipe is unique enough to justify the cost is a matter of personal taste, and you can’t argue with that because taste is subjective.

Having said that, if I were a millionaire, I’d be puffing away on that sucker right now!!! :cheers:

I'm in the same camp as Sasquatch -- it's a one-in-a-million expression of the pipemaker's craft. If it's as perfect in hand as it is in the photos, $3K seems reasonable. (If I had the skill to execute something like it, it would take a whole lot more than $3K to get me to give it up.) All of this got me to thinking:

Sasquatch has presented an interesting challenge: Is anyone up for posting what they believe is the absolute best example of pipemaking? (Indeed, let's set the Castello as the bar and have respondents post any pipe they think is "better.")

And, related to the above, is anyone willing to post what they believe is a pipe worth $3K or more? According to the people at Ser Jacapo, this may be one of the most expensive pipes ever sold (around $10K -- see http://www.serjacopo.com/TempPg1/Bril_Top.html ). Does anyone believe it's worth about three times as much as the Castello?

(Oh, and if you decide to partake in this little challenge, would you also consider sending $1 to my paypal account? I'm thinking that if there are 3000 responses...)

That's a pretty smoker there! And with what you will allegedly save, you can grab many pounds of your favorite blend! :affraid: