The Black Patch Tobacco Wars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hey BoBs, I thought this might provide interesting history to our beloved tobacco. I live in Robertson county, so am familiar with this to some extent, and have gone to plays in Adams, TN about this period. The article mentions a lot of other topics like religion, etc. There is even a small community nearby named Black Patch. Also, I regularly go to Guthrie, KY where there are historic plaques about this. It is also the birthplace of Robert Penn Warren, and his boyhood home still stands.
Enjoy!
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokin...=email&utm_term=0_-f341343711-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]

Hey BoBs, I thought this might provide interesting history to our beloved tobacco. I live in Robertson county, so am familiar with this to some extent, and have gone to plays in Adams, TN about this period. The article mentions a lot of other topics like religion, etc. There is even a small community nearby named Black Patch. Also, I regularly go to Guthrie, KY where there are historic plaques about this. It is also the birthplace of Robert Penn Warren, and his boyhood home still stands.
Enjoy!
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/beyond-violence-the-sociocultural-and-economic-factors-that-enabled-the-black-patch-tobacco-wars?utm_source=Smokingpipes.com&utm_campaign=a95557b1b3-SUN_DEC_24_2023_DAILY-READER-DIGEST&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-f341343711-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]
A good read Swede(y)

A good read Swede(y)
Thanks @Aussiemike , and I forgot to mention that I used to raise dark fired, one sucker (dark air cured), and burley. For perspective, way back almost 50 years ago I received about the same price per pound as local farmers do today. It just don't seem right!

Thanks @Aussiemike , and I forgot to mention that I used to raise dark fired, one sucker (dark air cured), and burley. For perspective, way back almost 50 years ago I received about the same price per pound as local farmers do today. It just don't seem right!
I was going to comment on the prices quoted in that article too, 12c per pound then $700us per pound today over here. They are reporting illegally grown tobacco over here along with crack and cocaine raids bloody crazy.

Great read Swede, interesting stuff.

Mike, I'm sure with the raided amounts that the police announce 5 million worth of coke or whatever it's them doing price estimates for the highest value they can get it to.

E.g. for coke totalling the price at the street value per gram rather than per ounce or whatever larger quantities it is also sold in.

na mate I wasn't going off those figures. 1 pound=453.592grams. 50 grams of pipe tobacco here is $110au/$74us.
My point was how much in a short amount of time things have changed re 12c per pound in article, and illicit tobacco growing gets thrown in the same basket on the news as chemical drugs now is all.(y):)I wouldnt and never have tried any what they call here "chop chop" but can understand why the cigarette smokers find it appealing over here and why. Pardon the pun but is why so many tobacconists are going up in smoke here. It has attracted the criminal element just like the 1920s prohibition in the USA.

Last edited:
"Hillbillies quickly became a source of danger to the Association, mostly due to the Trust being able to refuse to buy from the Association and buy from the Hillbillies for prices as high as nine to 12 cents per pound of tobacco."
"By 1909, the Association was a commercial success. The Trust was forced to buy tobacco from them with prices as high as nine cents a pound on average and the Association had proved that farmers with organization could affect the price of their crops."

The reality is that the Association successfully acted in its own best interests, without any regard for or benefit to the servile members that comprised it.
It is easy to recognize membership in an association (proletariat) as the servitude (slavery) that it actually is.

While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption;
For of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
~ Συμεων Πετρος (2 Peter)