The fickle nature of taste or: How do I get all of my mason jars back?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosin1932

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I've found myself in the, hopefully relatable, position of having an embarrassing number of mason jars filled with the different tins of tobacco I've tried over the years. I did this so I could go back and sample the blends I didn't like at the time in case my tastes changed, to date this strategy has not paid off.... lol. I can't bring myself to throw such a large and varied amount of tobacco away, but I need the jars for cellaring the blends I actually enjoy.

I am hoping some Brothers have a better informed suggestion than my current plan.... Mixing them all together and seeing what happens...

I've found myself in the, hopefully relatable, position of having an embarrassing number of mason jars filled with the different tins of tobacco I've tried over the years. I did this so I could go back and sample the blends I didn't like at the time in case my tastes changed, to date this strategy has not paid off.... lol. I can't bring myself to throw such a large and varied amount of tobacco away, but I need the jars for cellaring the blends I actually enjoy.

I am hoping some Brothers have a better informed suggestion than my current plan.... Mixing them all together and seeing what happens...
While I definitely cannot relate or make any informed suggestion(s), it does seem to be a rather nice problem to have.

Have you considered transferring those blends to Mylar bags?

Buy more jars?
If storage space is a problem, build more shelves?
Gotta be a way to keep from trashin' good 'baccy...

Also mossin if you use the mylar or other containers it is ok to put an oxygen absorber in for long term as well. I use them often for long term storage of certain foods.
1728871031524.png

Last edited:

I have a similar problem, and began mixing at about 25% the tobaccos that are not much enjoyed. I came with some favorite blends and named them for fun. One blend used like this is GLP Jackknife Plug. I usually like his blends, but this one is best to me to add strength and heavier taste to some burley (Prince Albert DR origin).

"Buy more mason jars" has always been my solution for this particular piping problem. 😅

But if you're gonna toss them, or worse mix them all into one big frankenstein monster blend, then I suggest sending it all to me instead! 😇

What I TRY to do is not open any new tins until I finish a jar. I'm not very good at it so I just end up buying more jars. I am thinking about trying the mylar pouch route at some point.