The last four months...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Have been a real challenge for us. The main reason I haven't done much on this board since Memorial Day.
We woke up that morning to water all in the guest bathroom, our room, a guest bedroom, and the connecting hallway!! A pipe, or pipes, had burst in the wall between our room and the guest bathroom. Of course it had to happen on a holiday and holiday weekend!! No plumbers nor clean-up folks available!! So we played the cleanup game ourselves, cutting the water on & off as necessary, soaking up water with loads of towels, running the wet towels thru the clothes washer spin cycle, then into the dryer. Finally got "rescued' the next Wednesday, then started the long journey of getting everything dried out, torn out (flooring in both BRs), cut out (many square feet of drywall in both BRs, Bath, and hallway. Water is a funny animal, it runs wherever it wants. Fortunately, it did not run toward the front of the house where the BRs are carpeted! Plus the bath room and hallway are brick/tile.
Insurance company did just fine. We found a good general contractor and sub-contractors. It still took us until the end of July (eight weeks) to get everything repaired, new drywall, paint (three colors) from the front door down the hallway, then three rooms +trim. New flooring for the two BRs. Plus moving furniture back into place, not to mention we had to empty two large walk-in closets of all their contents and store them in the remaining guest room.
Then in August as we were cleaning out unwanted items, clothing, and various acquired junk; the blower fan motor on the furnace burned out; hence no AC!!! Outside temps were 98+. House eventually got to 83F. Needless to say, SWMBO was not happy!! Took four days to get the dang part!! Finally by Labor Day we were able to celebrate our birthday's!!
Then the oh so wonderful "family crises" started!! Won't bore y'all with that. Let's just say I was more than ready to jettison several family members over shark-infested waters!!!
Oh well, enough of my prattle. I'll try to catch up on the board. For those experiencing health challenges, all my best to you. "Been there, done that!" To quote the actress Bette Davis..."Old age is no place for a sissy!!" And there ain't no sissy's on this board!!!!!
Give'em hell,
FTRPLT

Ftrplt, so sorry to hear about your troubles. We had the same thing about a year ago. Came home to a flooded bathroom, hallway, and kitchen. Fortunately our whole house is tile floors. We were able to clean it up and dry out without having to replace any wallboard or molding. Glad you got it all done and glad you're back with us.

Ftrplt, so sorry to hear about your troubles. We had the same thing about a year ago. Came home to a flooded bathroom, hallway, and kitchen. Fortunately our whole house is tile floors. We were able to clean it up and dry out without having to replace any wallboard or molding. Glad you got it all done and glad you're back with us.
Good to be back!!!