Tongue bite!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, let me say the Brotherhood was very welcoming when I joined and I appreciate all the posts.

I was wondering where the phrase "tongue bite" originated. When I first started smoking a pipe in the halcyon days of '76, I had no mentor and I bought a Dr.Grabow and some Borkin Riff tobacco. On t.v. and in movies no one seemed to have to re-light. I determined, therefore, that I wasn't sucking hard enough. I lit that sucker up and sucked hard enough to take the chrome off a '53 Buick. What I had was not "tongue bite" it was nuclear fusion. I couldn' talk coherently for days after, though none seemed to notice So, I was wondering how the phrase came into usage. Any scholars know the history?

As punishment for not meeting sales quotas, dealership managers in Texas used to run over a salesman’s tongue with the driver’s side front tire of a ‘53 Buick. They preferred to use red ones…the car that is,

IMG_7926.jpeg