trying to remember a tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fr_Tom

Chaplain
Reaction score
When I was in college, I had suitemates who smoked pipes. We have fallen out of touch. They would sometimes offer me something in tins that was a coin style Virginia-based tobacco. It was a smaller coin - about the size of a nickel and I thought it was great. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

That would have been around in the late 70's? The idea that I have tried some of the (original) famed Three Nuns is appealing. My tastes historically have been fairly simple - mostly because I am cheap by nature. The suitemates were a little more flush, and they had a fondness for tinned tobacco while I was buying cans of Amphora in the grocery store.

Escudo is another VA bassed, coin shapped blend that might have been available in the 70's.  Slightly before my time, so I cannot say for sure :)

The nickel-sized "coins" reminded me of Escudo. Some of the Mac Barens back then came in those sized coins also. Do you remember if the aroma was sweet or pungent? FTRPLT

Escudo is a much larger coin than I remember unless it was smaller at some point.

I thought it was a MacBaren tin, but I was not sure, and I asked a tobacconist about the small coin size in a MacBaren. He suggested I try Dark Twist, and I will. I don't think that was it. I remember sweet and some pungent.

Fr_Tom":jf89r3kb said:
Escudo is a much larger coin than I remember unless it was smaller at some point.

I thought it was a MacBaren tin, but I was not sure, and I asked a tobacconist about the small coin size in a MacBaren. He suggested I try Dark Twist, and I will. I don't think that was it. I remember sweet and some pungent.
Might have been Mac B's Plumcake or Latakia Blend. Both came in coins, at least back then. Haven't smoked either since the 60's!!!!

Actually, I have tried the MacBaren Latakia blend.  It is definitely a smaller coin size with a black core.  I remeber it did not have a strong latakia sent, the Virginia's actually stood out more to me in that blend.

2ia4aj10.jpg
" />

Three Nuns coins,,,about nickel size

Many of these aforementioned blends might be the one, but the distinguishing factor may be the tin SHAPE :twisted:
If it was a small rectangular orange and black tin it was Three Nuns , Simple, the rest would have been in larger ROUND tins :twisted:

monbla256":i7hqwdb9 said:
Many of these aforementioned blends might be the one, but the distinguishing factor may be the tin SHAPE :twisted:
If it was a small rectangular orange and black tin it was Three Nuns , Simple, the rest would have been in larger ROUND tins :twisted:
Very true

Fr_Tom,

You might want to reconsider.  You don't want three nuns to take over your pastime.  They wield rulers and would want your full attention!  Hardly a relaxing moment.

Ok - I want nothing to do with rulers. I have enough people in my life now needing attention. Oddly the shape of the can was not so firmly etched in my mind as the coins themselves. I will try some of the MacBarens suggested. I appreciate all the input here.

Sweet & pungent = (Bell's) Three Nuns.

"Remakes" of it generally elicit little enthusiasm.

:face: