Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Neil

Reaction score
I'm just curious to get other preferences from the site. Personally, I like a smaller pipe. I prefer either a narrow (.7" - .75") deep (1.4" - 1.5") bowl, or a wide (.75" - .8") shallow (1" - 1.2") bowl when it comes to chamber dimensions. I like lighter pipes, 1.2oz or less, and like them to stay in the 5" - 6" length range.

What are your preferences?

The same as yours. Generally use 5.5 inches as my minimum for a straight pipe, 6.0 max.

Bents, though, are all over the map, dimensionally speaking.

Now, it would take a lot for me to buy a pipe that weighs more than 1.5oz. I prefer pipes in the 5" range. I have quite a few that don't fit this criteria, but it is my standard when buying a pipe nowadays.

I tend toward the larger; at least DH 4 and preferably 6 to ODA/B/C sized. I do have smaller pipes, mostly for flakes and Burleys. My 150+ collection has been accrued over 5 decades, so the sizes are really all over the place. Smoke whatever size floats your boat!!! Good friend of mine only smokes larger Meers!! Owns two briars; hardly ever smoke's them!!! FTRPLT

For me, a group 5 sized bowl does the trick, in general, but prefer burley based blends in slightly larger bowls.

I don't focus on size as much as I do weight. I have a hard time buying a pipe that weighs over 1.5oz. This is because I clench all the time. You can get a surprising amount of size diversity with just that weight guideline.

Ocelot55":ciqsd2id said:
I don't focus on size as much as I do weight. I have a hard time buying a pipe that weighs over 1.5oz. This is because I clench all the time. You can get a surprising amount of size diversity with just that weight guideline.  
Fo sho! I've seen 7 inch Canadians weigh near an ounce.

My pipes are divided between smaller old Comoys and larger Briar Spirit Pipes.  The BSP pipes are larger than the Comoy pipes but they smoke like they were Comoys...maybe better.

When I was actively buying pipes, I generally Bought grp4 or grp5 sized pipes as my preferred size. I have maybe 3 or 4 grp 6 or ODA sized briars and all of my Meers are ODA in size. I try to smoke a bowl for no more than an hour or so and this general size range works for me. Weight is not really a problem with these size ranges but overall balance of the pipe when clenched is the important thing for me as I wear full dentures so real long Canadians and Lovats don't balance well for me. So I guess what could be called an average sized pipe is what I prefer.  :twisted: :twisted: 

Generally like pipes that are 5.5" - 6" long and med - large bowls. That is unless they have a 1/2 bend in which case 5" - 5.5" is better. Don't generally use the group grading system, but figure I'm a group 5 kinda guy.

Cheers,

RR

I prefer light-weight pipes a little over 5 inches that I can clench easily.  1/4 bent pipes to straight are my favorites but I own a few full bents that I enjoy also.  My favorite tobaccos seem to "sing" for me in groups 2-4.

Buckshot":2qopd3u4 said:
Both.  They each have their place and time.

That ^^^
The size of pipe I choose depends on how long I wanna smoke.
I have cigars in a variety of sizes for that reason.

Generally though, I prefer large bowls and Corona/Petit Corona sized cigars.

Hermit":v1t7zayi said:
Buckshot":v1t7zayi said:
Both.  They each have their place and time.

That ^^^
The size of pipe I choose depends on how long I wanna smoke.
I have cigars in a variety of sizes for that reason.

Generally though, I prefer large bowls and Corona/Petit Corona sized cigars.
Gotta agree and a lot depends also on what I'm smoking. Some tobaccos do better in large bowls and some small.

I have a plentiful supply of both, but generally most enjoy 5"- 6" in length ... light, less than 1.5 oz ... bowl approx .7 - .75 x 1.5 ... thick walls, please ... quarter bent or less. Is that group 3 or 4 territory? Since I don't clench much, I think a nice blast helps with grip. But for folded n' stuffed flakes I am fond of the chimney style that lets the blissful pipester nurse a smoldering coal all the way to the bottom. I do appreciate larger pipes whose proportions are cunningly carved to disguise their size. I find larger pipes can be hard to tote around and may not offer a longer smoke than a mid-size pipe. I like the Dublin shape, though, even though several of mine have such wide rims they look funny in my pocket. But they'll be nice for greeting the Spring out in the yard, assuming spring ever gets here.

Ocelot55":f6vy3ka3 said:
The Jones' boys think alike - I'm all about the weight. 40-50 grams is my sweet spot. I used to like large pipes but find they just don't get used as often. I'm more of a balancer, than a clencher and under 50 grams works. For Ashtons, 2X are my favorites. I'd love to add a Castello Rhodesian or Bulldog, but most made these days seem to be 4k, or G, GG in size. Just too darn big (I sold a G-sized Sea Rock last year)

Varitiy is the spice of life and none should be neglected. Smoke em all big or small depends on the mood. 

riff raff":uql8zwno said:
Ocelot55":uql8zwno said:
The Jones' boys think alike - I'm all about the weight.  40-50 grams is my sweet spot.  I used to like large pipes but find they just don't get used as often.  I'm more of a balancer, than a clencher and under 50 grams works.  For Ashtons, 2X are my favorites.  I'd love to add a Castello Rhodesian or Bulldog, but most made these days seem to be 4k, or G, GG in size.  Just too darn big (I sold a G-sized Sea Rock last year)
I'm of a similar mind and my name isn't Jones.

gravel":pj0eudo6 said:
riff raff":pj0eudo6 said:
Ocelot55":pj0eudo6 said:
The Jones' boys think alike - I'm all about the weight.  40-50 grams is my sweet spot.  I used to like large pipes but find they just don't get used as often.  I'm more of a balancer, than a clencher and under 50 grams works.  For Ashtons, 2X are my favorites.  I'd love to add a Castello Rhodesian or Bulldog, but most made these days seem to be 4k, or G, GG in size.  Just too darn big (I sold a G-sized Sea Rock last year)
I'm of a similar mind and my name isn't Jones.
All great minds, of course.  ;)