Winslow Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Drag Free Drifter
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you Brothers out there familiar with Poul Winslow and his work? I think he worked as an understudy of Preben Holm... I have been looking at some of his freehands on Smoking Pipes -- though chunky, they look to be of high quality briar, some with stunning grain. Any thoughts on fit/finish, smoking characteristics? Thanks for any and all responses, and I hope everyone has a great turkey day tomorrow, with family, friends, and a tasty pipe!

I have owned one Winslow. Not a good experience for me. It was a few years ago and I don't even remember who I ordered it from. It was a Winslow Crown. The drilling was horrible. It didn't have much bend but it would not pass a pipe cleaner at all and the air hole was off so much that it actually restricted the draw a little bit. I never put fire to it. One of our club members loved the pipe and agreed to purchase it from me knowing the flaws. He re-drilled it and ended up loving the pipe.

The only other time that I purchased such a poorly drilled pipe was from Knox Cigars. It was so bad that it would not draw at all. It was a Karl Erik Extravagant Horn which was Erik's high grade line at the time. Knox did not hesitate to take it back and they sent me another that was fine. I am sure that Smoking Pipes would give the same customer service if you were not satisfied.

You have to be careful with the crown series............some are well made.........others are crap...........gotta take them on an individual basis...............if buying anything with a serious bend in it........make sure it passes pipe cleaning test.

His higher end pipes are very good.

Ciao,
Mark

I purchased a Viking Crown this Christmas. To date I have smoked this pipe only twice, but it is by far the best smoking pipe that I own.

The feel is very light in the hand but the briar remains extremely cool during the smoke. No moisture build up and draw was great.

This has immediately become my favorite pipe.

I own several high end winslows. All are great smokers.I owned some crown series also .I kept 1out of three .They were good smokers but Im after more lately.Estervals house of pipes has a good selection.He keeps the quality up.

As a side not to the above post, I love Esterval's site. Ordered from him a few times and great international service, and you get the VAT back so the price isn't too bad.

Natch