New life - reworked project pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Do you guys remember this nasty thing:

RamsesCup_zps5fa02905.jpg

See this topic: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t23024-the-agony-of-choice-wip

I came to realise I actually despised the rotten looking thing, bit of fun maybe but as an actual smoking pipe, forget about it, nasty horrid thing. I decided to reshape it and try to get a bent Billiard out of it after all, got it as close as I could whilst making it still a little distinctive. Sadly as you can see the Briar turned out to be a real dog of a chunk of wood, very disappointed, I didn't want to fill it but keep it gnarly and ugly as it truly is, this is after the reshaping and sanding.

IMG_0202_zps9c14fb0d.jpg

IMG_0204_zps206c0a6d.jpg

IMG_0208_zps4d1394d9.jpg

Now this is how she looks and I must say I am very pleased with it indeed, wont be everyone's idea of a nice pipe but meh, I love it so there.

IMG_0237_zpsecada09f.jpg

IMG_0235_zps26820fb1.jpg

IMG_0244_zps74557512.jpg

IMG_0243_zpsd9f64db2.jpg

You should be pleased, it's a classy looking pipe. Think anyone would be more then happy to own it :).

Nice! Much better, and lighter. Love the color, beautiful tight grain, and nice stem work.

Nothing wrong with that Kirk!
Good looking pipe, and the classic shapes are the hardest to make!

Kirk that's much much much better. The grain you uncovered is reward enough. Total stunner

You're on a roll, Kirk!
This one, and your previous pipe for Jimbo are killers.

Thanks for the kind and supportive comments folks, put a huge smile on me ugly mug. :cheers:

Harlock999":pkdcxjh0 said:
You're on a roll, Kirk!
This one, and your previous pipe for Jimbo are killers.
Good of you to say Buddy, I have a long way to go and a lot to learn but in time, who knows, I may just end up making some pipes worthy of such generous praise, I'll be making some in July, if the gods are favourable I just might get a couple of nice ones done, we shall see. :D

Nice job Kirk! I'm sure she rests in the hand and the teeth much more comfortably now, and visibly, no doubt she is a stunner! There was a lot of gorgeous grain hiding in the previous shape! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Dutch":kavj15mj said:
Nice job Kirk! I'm sure she rests in the hand and the teeth much more comfortably now, and visibly, no doubt she is a stunner! There was a lot of gorgeous grain hiding in the previous shape! :cheers::cheers::cheers:
Thank you kindly Dutch, I'd like to be able to bend the stem more but just can't get the darn thing to bend any further, it's acrylic and I have to use the salt in the oven method, by the time I get the darn thing out of the salt it cools down like nobodies business, so annoying.

huffelpuff":2h937eff said:
Dude seriously WOW, just WOW!!! That's stunning!

Jim
Hiya Jim, so kind of you to say mate. wont be doing any more until early to mid July, frustrating but there it is, watch this space as they say. ;)

good job brother, a little liposculpture was all that pipe needed :) Hope you are having a great time, and hope you get to make lots more very soon

rev

kirk, that pipe is stunning. great work!

to bend the stem further, have you tried using a candle? soft flame and you can move it constantly over it to avoid scorching. gives you better control than the salt in the oven, just my opinion, ymmv, etc.