Pipe Smoking on TV

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
There's a British detective show called Endeavour. Endeavour Morse is a DC in the Oxford Police; the show is a prequel series to Inspector Morse Mysteries, and covers Morse's earlier career as a young detective. His boss is DI Fred Thursday, a character that smokes a pipe. What struck me is that unlike so many other shows I've seen where the pipe is but a prop, this actor that plays Thursday actually seems to be smoking properly. He tamps when you'd expect, relights, I even saw him very casually do that thing some people do to increase the heat by putting a finger over the bowl briefly while inhaling. He's all very natural, and it's nice to see.

Unlike in the newer All Creatures Great and Small series, where I'm pretty sure the actor that plays Siegfried isn't sure which end to stick in his mouth. LOL

Last edited:
I am surprised that there are even contemporary scenes involving any type of tobacco smoking still being filmed. I mean they went totally berserk over abolishing any smoking during the last 25 years, or so.