A sunny South African hello

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, Jan, any friend of Piet and Muddler is more than welcome here (but then, we're not particular, so just about everyone is welcome here, they even seem to put up with me!).

Say, can you tell us more about the African Blackwood you use in several of your pipes? I've never held a pipe made from that wood.

Natch

Hahaha, yes. I thought it would be nice to welcome folks in their own language. The South African Brothers are coming out of the woodwork these days after all. I have to admit that my Dutch is quite weak so I got a little help with the translations... By the way, Piet, what exactly is Afrikaans?? Is English the most used language there? I grew up speaking Norwegian, the English, now Spahish, so I love languages in general...

MisterE":g1h8alf4 said:
Hahaha, yes. I thought it would be nice to welcome folks in their own language. The South African Brothers are coming out of the woodwork these days after all. I have to admit that my Dutch is quite weak so I got a little help with the translations... By the way, Piet, what exactly is Afrikaans?? Is English the most used language there? I grew up speaking Norwegian, the English, now Spahish, so I love languages in general...
ahaaaa E good question, Afrikaans is a variation of Dutch, The Cape was colonized in 1652 by the Dutch, as the pioneers moved inland the dialect started to change and Afrikaans was born. If you speak or write afrikaans to the Dutch they will understand you and vice Versa.
They are very similar in character and pronunciation. Real Dutch have an accent true to their country and that sometimes creates a barrier between the two in terms of unerstanding.