Actor Glenn Ford

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember that I too included that great photo of Ford (who passed away not to long ago - he was over 90) in another forum featuring famous pipesmokers some years ago. I read in a bio essay on the actor that he picked up the pipe from his father, who worked for the Canadian railroad system. Note the British influence in the stem-down positioning of the pipes on the rack. He was a fine gentleman and an underrated actor. I particularly liked him in Gilda, The Big Heat and a spate of cowboy movies that he made in the 1950s, including the original version of 3:10 To Yuma.

babysinister":gwnw9x2b said:
I remember that I too included that great photo of Ford (who passed away not to long ago - he was over 90) in another forum featuring famous pipesmokers some years ago. I read in a bio essay on the actor that he picked up the pipe from his father, who worked for the Canadian railroad system. Note the British influence in the stem-down positioning of the pipes on the rack. He was a fine gentleman and an underrated actor. I particularly liked him in Gilda, The Big Heat and a spate of cowboy movies that he made in the 1950s, including the original version of 3:10 To Yuma.
Yes, you're right! I had forgotten that he was in 3:10 to Yuma, a great movie made from a great story by the great writer, Elmore Leonard. Gilda was fantastic, too! The French also tended to the stem-down position. Including a picture of the Belgian writer, Georges Simenon.

I'm a big fan of Simenon's Maigret series. That still photo of S with his pipes is from a documentary interview from French TV that can be found somehwere online. In it he shows the interviewer how he fills and lights his pipe "une ceremonie". Hint: he didn't have much use for a tamper or the "three step" fill method. Lol.

"Blackboard Jungle" is in my backlog of purchased but unwatched DVSs. I bought it to an example of Vic Morrow's acting talent, beyond the "Combat" TV series. I'll have to watch that one next.

Steve

babysinister":0zr732p0 said:
I'm a big fan of Simenon's Maigret series. That still photo of S with his pipes is from a documentary interview from French TV that can be found somehwere online. In it he shows the interviewer how he fills and lights his pipe "une ceremonie". Hint: he didn't have much use for a tamper or the "three step" fill method. Lol.
I'll have to do a search for that interview. I hope there's an English translation because my French is rather pathetic. Thanks much.

sstodvictory":9cvmisbw said:
"Blackboard Jungle" is in my backlog of purchased but unwatched DVSs. I bought it to an example of Vic Morrow's acting talent, beyond the "Combat" TV series. I'll have to watch that one next.

Steve

Yeah, you gotta watch it. Besides Glenn Ford and Vic Morrow, Sidney Poitier had a major part in it. MASH's Jamie Farr as well.

Airborne":mx2gxjri said:
babysinister":mx2gxjri said:
I'll have to do a search for that interview. I hope there's an English translation because my French is rather pathetic. Thanks much.

http://archives.tsr.ch/player/simenon-pipe

Sorry, no English translation. But it almost doesn't need one.

Neat!

If you pause in a few spots as he handles the tin, you can see he's packing his pipe with Dunhill Royal Yacht.

babysinister":a5mets3q said:
Airborne":a5mets3q said:
babysinister":a5mets3q said:

http://archives.tsr.ch/player/simenon-pipe

Sorry, no English translation. But it almost doesn't need one.
Thanks much for the link. I enjoyed watching it. My wife is at a workshop in LA, but when she returns, I'll have to have her translate it for me. Wow, GS really stuffs that pipe of his!!!

Doc Manhattan":y0mw8eq7 said:
Neat!

If you pause in a few spots as he handles the tin, you can see he's packing his pipe with Dunhill Royal Yacht.
I posted the link to that video clip years ago (can't remember at which forum) and, iirc, at one point he says how many pipefuls he smoked per chapter when writing one of his books. I think it added up to 60 pipefuls per book. And he wrote hundreds of them, as he was incredibly prolific. In that old thread, one of the posters said that the tin looked like Dunhill Elizabethan. Lol - I don't know how you guys can hazard a guess, I certainly couldn't tell.

May Glenn Ford in Heaven forgive me for continuing to perpetrate this threadjacking on my part, but just wanted to add that the poem quoted by the interviewer as the intro to the clip is "La Pipe d'un auteur" ("A writer's pipe"), by the great French poet Charles Baudelaire, one of the first acknowledgements in literature of the link between writing and pipesmoking.

babysinister":ek9lmj51 said:
Doc Manhattan":ek9lmj51 said:
Neat!

I posted the link to that video clip years ago (can't remember at which forum) and, iirc, at one point he says how many pipefuls he smoked per chapter when writing one of his books. I think it added up to 60 pipefuls per book. And he wrote hundreds of them, as he was incredibly prolific. In that old thread, one of the posters said that the tin looked like Dunhill Elizabethan. Lol - I don't know how you guys can hazard a guess, I certainly couldn't tell.
To the right of the video on the link, there is a paragragh written in French. My French is really bad, but I did manage to understand that he smoked between 6 & 8 bowls full per chapter. Thanks again for the link.

Here are the bases of my guess:

6074303711_595385c3a9.jpg

"nhill"

6074844860_eddcb7da9a.jpg

"Yacht"

But my eyes may indeed deceive me--they've never been good.

Doc Manhattan":w2e447w0 said:

Yes, by God, I think you nailed it, Doc!!! Way to go.

Doc Manhattan":r8kfqqbm said:

6074303711_595385c3a9.jpg

"nhill"

"Yacht"

But they're better than mine that's for sure! Lol, Inspector Maigret would have been pleased!

Airborne":mtemj75i said:
Yes, you're right! I had forgotten that he was in 3:10 to Yuma, a great movie made from a great story by the great writer, Elmore Leonard. Gilda was fantastic, too! The French also tended to the stem-down position. Including a picture of the Belgian writer, Georges Simenon.

Big Simenon fan here too. I made my pipe rack after his:

]

Big Simenon fan here too. I made my pipe rack after his:

[/quote]

Very good. Super!

Doc Manhattan":i4o44m6y said:

"Yacht"

I've only seen pics of him smoking Royal Yacht...except this one (below)...we see three tins: Royal Yacht, and two of Four Square.