Anybody into ukulele? Listening? Playing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some good advice and lovely instruments here.

Don't mind a spot of George Formby every now and then though I think he played the banjolele.

Of course, there's the always inevitable reference...

k6p7NIkl.jpg

Back…

Been looking around via uTube, etc. and have seen lots of stuff. Names mentioned here that are familiar are Kala, Ohana, Anuenue…and of course Martin. In 1968
I had a college roommate that had a Martin 12 string. If I ever forget the “Martin tradition” he’d remind me. I don’t remember the model but even I could coax some lovely sounds from it.

If I join my wife as a new uke owner I’d maybe be looking at $200 - $300…with as wide a fret board as possible to accommodate my hulk-like hands. I’d also prefer to avoid Chinese if possible. Usually that doesn’t bother me. But with this, it does.
I have a baritone that I restrung it for gcea with a drop g. Sounds good with Aquila reds

For those committed to standard ukulele tuning, but would like a more guitar like sound, here's an instructional on how to tune a tenor guitar as a ukulele.