Anyone else do this?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back when Christian Pipe Smokers Forum existed, I once sent a de-labeled tin of Orlik Golden Sliced to a fellow brother in Australia. Apparently, Australia has the heaviest tobacco tax in the world, where a 1.75 oz tin costs almost $30, (USD). I had to get creative on the customs form, declaring the item a commercial sample of packing materials. Apparently Australian Govt hates tobacco, thus the draconian tax measures.
I would think any BoB fellows living in Australia would be very blessed if a US BoB send some 'baccy their way!

Sending tobacco in any form, especially if it seems to have been “disguised”, would be a very dangerous thing to do. I don’t know about Oz but for sure the UK would slap huge fines and fees (at the least) on the poor bloke receiving said items. Also…it’s ‘Mail Fraud’ to lie as to package contents on International Shipping…right? I honestly don’t think anyone that runs this show and/or considers themselves a member in good standing would endorse the practice. And as to that guy over in Australia being so happy about getting the smuggled weed…they’d likely want to ring yer neck.

Nowday's if it is detected it is confiscated and destroyed and maybe a fine for the brother.

You no longer get the option to pay the import duty. :cry:

As BH says, please don't send one as it will only get the brother in trouble.

Excise keeps increasing too, we are now at over $160 AUD for a 50g tin which due to our packaging laws need to be decanted into pouches with all sorts of dire warnings on them as people can't be allowed to be attracted to nice packaging.

Won't somebody think of the children...

Sending tobacco in any form, especially if it seems to have been “disguised”, would be a very dangerous thing to do. I don’t know about Oz but for sure the UK would slap huge fines and fees (at the least) on the poor bloke receiving said items. Also…it’s ‘Mail Fraud’ to lie as to package contents on International Shipping…right? I honestly don’t think anyone that runs this show and/or considers themselves a member in good standing would endorse the practice. And as to that guy over in Australia being so happy about getting the smuggled weed…they’d likely want to ring yer neck.
Whooah there tiger!
First, this "smuggling" I spoke of occurred in 2016, and the recipient received it without paying any fines. Secondly, I was not lying, tobacco can be used as a packing material. I was not in error on the customs form.
Thirdly, I would not attempt this in 2024 or 2025, as thanks to the CDC and the WHO, all tobacco, including innocuous pipe tobacco, is considered a toxic poison. Their efforts at disseminating lies and obfuscations has increased exponentially since 2016.

Nowday's if it is detected it is confiscated and destroyed and maybe a fine for the brother.

Excise keeps increasing too, we are now at over $160 AUD for a 50g tin which due to our packaging laws need to be decanted into pouches with all sorts of dire warnings on them as people can't be allowed to be attracted to nice packaging.

See my reply to Eutychus

Whooah there tiger!
First, this "smuggling" I spoke of occurred in 2016, and the recipient received it without paying any fines. Secondly, I was not lying, tobacco can be used as a packing material. I was not in error on the customs form.
Thirdly, I would not attempt this in 2024 or 2025, as thanks to the CDC and the WHO, all tobacco, including innocuous pipe tobacco, is considered a toxic poison. Their efforts at disseminating lies and obfuscations has increased exponentially since 2016.

My name isn’t “tiger”. So just call me Blackhorse. I definitely urge you to read the user guidelines covering our site. It’s a major offense here to argue with a moderator in the open forum. It’s one of the few things that are grounds for immediate banning. The “Whoa there…” thing is a bit cheeky, but given your newby status and that you were more explaining existing circumstances than arguing…whatever. Arguing (and yelling and swearing, etc.) are all allowed via PM so I recommend that as an effective protocol with which to become familiar.

Regardless of specific differences between the various shipping & mailing regs now, then and whenever…my concerns are more in the arena of other members being led into inappropriate behavior. Seriously, you can’t imagine what some guys would do.

Blackhorse, I apologize for calling you tiger and please don't kick me off the Forum. I'm used to the easy going ways and all the ribbing and banter of the old pipe forum I was a member of. Man, I was always the subject of somebody busting on me for one thing or the other-good times. I don't know of any other pipe smoking Forums and this one was recommended by one of the officers in the sinking ship Forum, so I'm here to stay. I'll need to make a little adjustments to my online persona.

Peter

Back when Christian Pipe Smokers Forum existed, I once sent a de-labeled tin of Orlik Golden Sliced to a fellow brother in Australia. Apparently, Australia has the heaviest tobacco tax in the world, where a 1.75 oz tin costs almost $30, (USD). I had to get creative on the customs form, declaring the item a commercial sample of packing materials. Apparently Australian Govt hates tobacco, thus the draconian tax measures.
I would think any BoB fellows living in Australia would be very blessed if a US BoB send some 'baccy their way!
Not trying to be mean or ignorant to you and I understand you are new on here, but we don't really discuss this issue "openly" on this forum. At least from what I can see. It is something between friends.

What the

Read through these top to bottom, and the semblance of argumentativeness began with the father-figure "correction speech" toward the original, obviously-intended-to-be-helpful-and-giving, suggestive question --which was well answered by the first response from the Aussie, by the way.