Bent vs straight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrown287

Reaction score
While being new the first pipe I bought is a bent no name. Now I'm already looking for another pipe. My question is being new, will a bent or straight be better for my needs? Are there advantages to either or is it just preference?

Im a bent guy myself. but if you go done about 16 post you will find this went on a few days ago. mostly you need to try both and deside what is to your personal liking.

What are your needs?

I like both and as the law of PAD dictates, you should have as many of both as possible. :p

Trying buying one bent Missouri Meerschaum Cob and one Straight. I like the Diplomats, Country Gentleman, and Legends. This will set you back $10-20 plus shipping. Smoke the hell out of them, and see what floats your boat. After that start targeting a proper briar pipe.

Sorry for the duplicate thread. Missed the other one.....

As far as my needs, I don't know yet. I was looking at the MM country gentleman set. My local is suppose to be getting in some cobs today so I will hold out from ordering until I can see what they get in. I just wasn't sure if one would be better newb suited.

I slowly discovered, over my first year with a pipe that I enjoy bent pipes. I've had a few straights (and still have a couple) but realized that I just don't reach for them that often. Most have been resold. Now, I almost exclusively only shop for bents, which narrows the focus and cash outlay a bit!

Purely personal preference. I think conventional logic dictates straight pipes for new smokers because they are less likely to collect moisture and smoke wet. But I found bent pipes to be easier to smoke when I first started. Early on, I simply preferred a bent pipe - now all of a sudden I've noticed my preference shifting back to straight pipes.

If possible, try both, see which suits you best and go from there.

George Dibos (Precision Pipe Repair) has written that the great majority of higher-end pipes with airway problems he gets in the mail to turn into dry smokers are bents.

Straight pipes are hand pipes -- as in, indoors, comfortable chair, good book/computer, cup/glass beside you, &c. Bent pipes used to be (go back 100 years) "for" tradesmen & sailors who were going to be using both hands a lot.

Still pretty much holds true.

De gustibus non disputandem.

:face:

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

+1 on Dave's post. When I first started (more years ago than I care to admit) I was enamored with deep bents. Over time I migrated to straight or slightly bent pipes; I just like the look. I still have a few deep bents but they're seldom smoked.

jbrown287":fmi8fg75 said:
While being new the first pipe I bought is a bent no name. Now I'm already looking for another pipe. My question is being new, will a bent or straight be better for my needs? Are there advantages to either or is it just preference?
'Fraid without a definition of just what your "needs" are, your question would be hard to compitently answer :p But generally speaking, each style of pipe has different charachteristics smoking wise and you really need to try each to decide for yourself which one would suit your "needs" :p

Well... it really depends on you mood.... quarter bent is my favorite.. but i's got's all sorts... As mentioned I'd go for the MM Country Gentleman and see what you like best

james

If you're new and want more pipes, then one of your needs is to try some that are different from each other to find out what you like. You have a bent. Get a straight.

Steve

I went today and picked up a cob in each to see which I like better. Jury is out till I can try the other bent.

As stated, this is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I prefer "pokers" (straight) the majority of the time because I like to hold onto to pipe as I smoke. When I am reading a book, I prefer a "bent" pipe that I can enjoy hands-free most of the time. When I am in an inquisitive mood, I prefer a churchwarden (which I hold onto of course). Try one of each, see which you like the most, and then let the PAD begin!

I love them all, straight, full bent, 1/4 bent, slightly bent. When I began I bought all kinds and still do. If I like the looks of a pipe, I buy it not considering if it is bent or straight. Now in regards to full bent, I absolutely make sure it can pass a pipe cleaner before I purchase it. I have one full bent Mastro De Paja that I bought when I first started smoking and didn't know any better and I get annoyed with it. It is the only pipe in my collection that doesn't pass a cleaner. I have tried working on it but so far I still cannot get it to pass. I am going to send it in to a pro to open it up.

When buying straight pipes I also make sure it is not too heavy. I only buy group 5- small 6's in a straight because I have a tendency to clench.

I too have a variety of straights and bents in my collection. My preferences lately have been quarter bents, but yesterday I pulled the trigger on a gorgeous, Cumberland stemmed Bill Taylor 1989 Ashton Pebble Shell Patent Billiard XXX ... not quarter bent, but it will suit me fine.

To me, given closeness in weight between a straight and bent pipe, it's a balance issue. The first time I tried pipes years ago straights seemed to me to have all the weight at the end at the bowl. Bents seemed to be more balanced with a closer fulcrum point to the mouth. .....or maybe I should go back to bed. :bounce:

Yep -- balance is a factor to some.

Hand pipe ? Doesn't matter.

Clenched ? = Issue.

:face: X7 :cat: