Bulldog Pics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sand18f":ia974z1k said:
Harlock,
How does the "Morta" smoke compared to regular briar?
That's an interesting question. I have two Il Duca bulldogs, one morta, and one briar. They both have very similarly sized chambers, and I smoke Penzance in both of them, and the results are quite different. In the briar, Penzance has the very rich flavor profile that that blend is well known for. In the morta, the flavor is there, but in a more subdued manner. I was talking to someone else about this, and I described the smoking characteristics of the morta as "leaner and drier" than briar. Of course, I'm speaking from limited experience, as I've only ever owned and smoked from one morta pipe.
Chris.

First: I don´t own a GBD… yet. But there seem to be so many GBD pipes, that show beautiful grain and GBD owners told me many times, that their GBDs are great pipes, very often reasonable priced.

Is this an older pipe? I must admit, that I´ve never seen this variant of the shape before. Is this one of those handmade GBDs?

I like how this pipe looks robust without beeing inelegant.

With kind regards
Thilo

Schacht":zwvb5dkz said:
First: I don´t own a GBD… yet. But there seem to be so many GBD pipes, that show beautiful grain and GBD owners told me many times, that their GBDs are great pipes, very often reasonable priced.

Is this an older pipe? I must admit, that I´ve never seen this variant of the shape before. Is this one of those handmade GBDs?

I like how this pipe looks robust without beeing inelegant.

With kind regards
Thilo
You know, just a few weeks ago I didn't have any GBD's either, but I found two very reasonably priced on EBay, and then MisterE gave me a very nice Rock Root rusticated billiard/canadian, and all of a sudden I had a mini collection! And all three perform very nicely. I'm not sure how to date this brand, but I don't think the bulldog is that old. It may look a little more robust in the photo, but it is actually not too big at all, and probably not a "handmade". Nevertheless, it is very comfortable, and makes a nice addition to my rotation, as does the Rock Root pipe. I'm becoming quite fond of this make, and you are right, they tend to be nicely priced.
Cheers,
Chris.

Add me to the chorus of GBD lovers. My first was a post-consolidation Prince inherited from my uncle... sentimentally I would love it no matter what, but it's a nice pipe with a nice grain.

Then, just like Harlock, I suddenly found myself with two more at great prices, older ones. Great little smokers. The Brits just do proportion and engineering right for medium-small pipes.

Doc Manhattan":nlgw3nos said:
Then, just like Harlock, I suddenly found myself with two more at great prices, older ones. Great little smokers. The Brits just do proportion and engineering right for medium-small pipes.
It took me a while, but I am starting to see the magic in those "medium-small" British pipes. I'm slow, but I'll get there eventually, I think!

Harlock, forgive my ignorance but I don't know much about Sasieni... I take it the transition and after are less desireable? Either way I think that's a handsome pipe and the fact that it smokes so well counts for more than when it was made. I'm just trying to get a bit of a history lesson :)

s.ireland":1g6p7vdf said:
Harlock, forgive my ignorance but I don't know much about Sasieni... I take it the transition and after are less desireable? Either way I think that's a handsome pipe and the fact that it smokes so well counts for more than when it was made. I'm just trying to get a bit of a history lesson :)
From what I understand, the transition period comprises 6-7 years after the family sold the business, but Alfred Sasieni was still involved in the company. After his departure begins the post transition, and generally these and the transition pipes are not nearly as collectable as the "Family Era" pipes. Look on Pipephil.com to see the difference in logos and nomenclature used by the company over the years. One easy point of reference is that "Four Dot" equals Family Era, and "4 Dot" is post trans.
I have several later Sasieni's, and they are all over the map in terms of drilling and finish, but somehow, they all smoke OK. However, the bulldog above is in a whole different class.

Very beautiful Nielsen, congratulations, Chris! There´s an inlay on the stem isn´t it? Is that boxwood? I like the way it looks handmade. Among the Bjarne Nielsen pipes I´ve seen so far, this is one of the nicest.
It would be interesting to know wich carver could have been fabricating this piece, are there Nielsen experts around here?

Kind regards
Thilo

Schacht":54kdoe3l said:
Very beautiful Nielsen, congratulations, Chris! There´s an inlay on the stem isn´t it? Is that boxwood? I like the way it looks handmade. Among the Bjarne Nielsen pipes I´ve seen so far, this is one of the nicest.
It would be interesting to know wich carver could have been fabricating this piece, are there Nielsen experts around here?

Kind regards
Thilo
I'm no expert, but I've read that "Phil" Viggen of W.O. Larsen may have made some of the Bjarne Nielsen pipes.

My first thought was, that this could be Mr. Vigens work. But I´m for sure not an expert too.

Greetings
Thilo

Great pipe, Chris! Although, I wouldn't expect any less from you! I'm literally head over heels for the shape of that piece... Very fine Nielsen. :cheers:

Woof.

I need a sweet bulldog. My Pete 80s got me in the game, but you got dogs of a different breed there!

Thank you gentlemen!
I'm a little nutty about the bulldogs, and I appreciate the feedback.
Thanks again!
Chris.

What's wrong with a Peterson 80s. Mine is smoldering as we speak, type, read, whatever you call this.

Harlock my good fellow, you don't just have a thing for bulldogs...you have a thing for fantastic bulldogs.

There isn't a single pipe in this thread that I haven't been impressed by, which is saying alot for bulldogs in particular. It's a shape that can easily go wrong to my tastes, but every one of these is most definitely right.

It seems you've a good hand with the camera and eye for color and scenery too. Very nice photos.

Do please leave a couple of nice doggies for the rest of us bud, will ya? :lol!: :cheers: