Can anyone help me identifying?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misslinds88

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about this? I have like 50'more I have questions about. Hopefully I don't annoy yall.
IMG_6485.jpeg
IMG_6485.jpeg

It's in the style of German (perhaps Austrian) pipes of early last century. The bowl is probably porcelain. This one has a wind cap on it to keep weather out. Looks to have a branch as a stem with a horn piece on it. If you search German smoking pipes, or German porcelain pipes, you should learn more.

I am not an expert on these. Only aware of them. Look for marks. Hallmarks on the metal. Could be real silver. These were the type of thing that military regiments would have their own designs. And, they could vary in value like anything else. I might be able to pick out something I thought could be valuable, but not because I know anything about these. If they are old. If they seem to be of quality. Then they could be rare and perhaps of value.

Most of the similar examples I have had my hands on, were cheap. Perhaps, more modern knockoffs. I never really paid much attention to the displays at the Chicago show, or I might know more about these.

It's in the style of German (perhaps Austrian) pipes of early last century. The bowl is probably porcelain. This one has a wind cap on it to keep weather out. Looks to have a branch as a stem with a horn piece on it. If you search German smoking pipes, or German porcelain pipes, you should learn more.

I am not an expert on these. Only aware of them. Look for marks. Hallmarks on the metal. Could be real silver. These were the type of thing that military regiments would have their own designs. And, they could vary in value like anything else. I might be able to pick out something I thought could be valuable, but not because I know anything about these. If they are old. If they seem to be of quality. Then they could be rare and perhaps of value.

Most of the similar examples I have had my hands on, were cheap. Perhaps, more modern knockoffs. I never really paid much attention to the displays at the Chicago show, or I might know more about these.
Thank you! I can see I came to the right place. Just wait I have more lol

Definitely horn bit/cherry branch stem.
@Carlos does porcelain color like that?

Looks to be Austrian to me, based on my very limited experience.
Agreed on the silver; although I've seen these and similar with silver plated brass as well.

I've seen prices on these range anywhere from $75-$500 dollars (and up) on ebay, with median prices in the $150-$200 range.

Basically whatever the market will bare.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me anything about this? I have like 50'more I have questions about. Hopefully I don't annoy yall.
View attachment 22384View attachment 22384

View attachment 22384View attachment 22384
I have an un named home made pipe bowl made out of the stem wood of your pipe with what looks like chewing gum to seal stem to pipe. That stem is so rustic love it. I watch a lot of the program "life below zero" and that stem looks like the willow I see on it do you or anyone else know what wood it is? If so its not a hollow wood they must have reemed it with a hot bit of wire back in the day?

That is one beautiful pipe Miss love it!! (y):) Do you mind if I ask how you came about it and the collection?
I buy storage units in auctions and hit the jack pot.. well maybe if I smoked lol but I have pipes for days and don't know anything about them. I'm making myself crazy looking them up and finding nothing so I though maybe I would find a group kindly enough to help me out, and poof there yall were 😂 I do appreciate yall already. I'm going to post some more pics in this feed if yall don't mind?

I buy storage units in auctions and hit the jack pot.. well maybe if I smoked lol but I have pipes for days and don't know anything about them. I'm making myself crazy looking them up and finding nothing so I though maybe I would find a group kindly enough to help me out, and poof there yall were 😂 I do appreciate yall already. I'm going to post some more pics in this feed if yall don't mind?
Good on you Miss, post em up. Eye candy for us if they are anything like your last one (y):cool: and like singed said "we love a good ummmm mystery/puzzle aggghh something like that(y)soz singed.

Definitely horn bit/cherry branch stem.
@Carlos does porcelain color like that?

Looks to be Austrian to me, based on my very limited experience.
Agreed on the silver; although I've seen these and similar with silver plated brass as well.

I've seen prices on these range anywhere from $75-$500 dollars (and up) on ebay, with median prices in the $150-$200 range.

Basically whatever the market will bare.
Sorry mate i didnt see that I read it to fast, "Definitely horn bit/cherry branch stem".(y)

These are just half of what I got im so overwhelmed I won't drive yall nuts but if I see one pretty interesting I'll post it.

Attachments

• IMG_6522.jpeg
    IMG_6522.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_6521.jpeg
    IMG_6521.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    2.9 MB
  • IMG_6519.jpeg
    IMG_6519.jpeg
    3.2 MB
  • C706B9BE-C1A7-48D5-9F1D-2E9BD7CFE7AB.jpeg
    C706B9BE-C1A7-48D5-9F1D-2E9BD7CFE7AB.jpeg
    1.7 MB
any of these?

The one on the far left is a briar with either an amber or Bakelite stem. Typical design from the late 1800's and early 1900's. The metal band is probably brass, but could be gold. That and the wording in the pipe case are hard to tell from a picture.
The second one from the left is easier. An Austrian/Vienna-made Meerschaum with an amber stem and hand extension. The pipe shop had branches in Bombay, Calcutta, Colombo, and Cairo. This pipe style was used for smoking "cheroots," small diameter cigars used by both men and women. This one looks unsmoked and in extremely good condition. Be careful with it; it's worth a bit of "coin of the realm!!" FWIW, FTRPLT

The second one from the left is easier. An Austrian/Vienna-made Meerschaum with an amber stem and hand extension. The pipe shop had branches in Bombay, Calcutta, Colombo, and Cairo. This pipe style was used for smoking "cheroots," small diameter cigars used by both men and women. This one looks unsmoked and in extremely good condition. Be careful with it; it's worth a bit of "coin of the realm!!" FWIW, FTRPLT
I think I just got screwed over 🤦‍♀️ I sold some over the weekend and it makes sense why the man was so excited about his purchase. I'm sick over it 😭thank you for telling me about the pipes though!

These are just half of what I got im so overwhelmed I won't drive yall nuts but if I see one pretty interesting I'll post it.

Ye gods, that's a chunk and a half of a collection.

No idea about any of the pipes in your pictures other than what has already been mentioned. Some really cool looking and bizarre pipes there.

If you sell them on ebay etc., you'll get better prices if you list them individually but I can see that'll be a huge chunk of work for you with that lot.

Oh and welcome aboard.