Cob newby question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_68

Reaction score
Please forgive if this is a stupid question, just looking to make sure I don't have an issue....

My MM cob which is about 3 bowls old, has space between the top of the stummel and where it connects to the bowl. It's a large enough gap that I can see the cherry on the toby through it...

Question is, should I plug that with a little dab of wood glue or something? I don't wanna screw the pipe up but I can't think that having a hole like that helps the smoking process much...any input is greatly appreciated!

mike_68":tc3r92kp said:
Please forgive if this is a stupid question, just looking to make sure I don't have an issue....

My MM cob which is about 3 bowls old, has space between the top of the stummel and where it connects to the bowl. It's a large enough gap that I can see the cherry on the toby through it...

Question is, should I plug that with a little dab of wood glue or something? I don't wanna screw the pipe up but I can't think that having a hole like that helps the smoking process much...any input is greatly appreciated!
Why not take it back to the seller for a new one?

Are you talking about the shank ? (the stummel is the whole pipe minus the stem)
If it is indeed the shank, where it fits into the bowl, filling with wood glue will be OK. I've done that with one of my cobs and it's perfect.

Sorry, yes - I meant the shank! Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a shot..

What ever you do I would not use wood glue on your pipe...wood glue contains lots of harmful chemicals that could possibly get into your smoke as the pipe warms up.

I have no idea what you mean by being able to see the cherry on the toby through it. But a little space between the shank and the bottom of the bowl is normal. But if you want to fill it in, I would advise Pipe Mud, which you can read about here: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t13617-pipe-mud-for-cobs. You might also want to read my Cob Primer and Buyers Guides for more information.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Missouri_Meerschaum_Corncob_Buying_Guide

If I'm understanding this right, the gap on Mike's cob is on the *exterior* junction where the shank joins the bowl, to the extent he can sometimes see the ember (cherry) glow inside bowl of tobacco (toby) from the side. Which, if that's the situation, will mess your airstream right up. Sonds to me like the shank didn't get jammed all the way in/wiggled loose, and a hole that should be inside is partially out.

Exchanging it for one without the gap does seem like the sure-fire solution whatever the trouble is.

If you do try to patch it, some wood glues are FDA foodsafe rated, like this one:
http://www.titebond.com/WNTitebondIIITB.asp

mike_68":3mw125z4 said:
...I can see the cherry on the toby through it....
Wouldn't worry about this particular problem. I have several pipes like this, even with exposed catmollens and no problem.

Steve

Exposed catmollens,,???,,Isn't that illegal or something?,,,,,I'm pretty deep into a bottle of Bourbon at the moment so maybe I'm missing on a few cylinders,,,

Doc is dead on...when taking a drag I can see the embers glowing between the side of the bowl and the shank due to the space. Sorry, that's what I meant but tried to be clever...

I'll probably try some of the FDA glue since I would like to seal it as permanently as possible. Of course, it's only an issue with the tobacco above where the space is, once it's below that, it's not an issue.

Thanks for giving this some thought and responses guys! I appreciate it a ton!

Sounds like a bid fit on the stem. I've had many MM's and never had that problem. For what they cost, I'd just get a new one (or, as I live in the South, we always have an open can of Bondo lying around, so I'm sure we could fix er up permanently!)

Natch

Ha! Hey Natch - I was considering throwing some duct tape at it...;)

Part of my thing has been I don't really wanna make a big deal out of a $4 pipe you know? But then I was a bit curious as to actually patching her up...so I asked. There's that....

I'm with you COBFATHER.
I have one MM cob that I have been using for the samples of English Tobacs that Doc Manhattan has generously given me to try out. And I must say I really like smoking it, it's light and holding it in my mouth is comfortable, and it smokes great.
I am going to order some more as soon as their back in stock at Mars.
I guess I'm going to be a COB JUNKIE....