Displaying pipes beyond piperacks?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultraman

Reaction score
So, I was looking at my 40 plus pipes and thinking, what would be a good way to store these beauties BESIDES a piperack.

I have a few myself, but they always look a bit disjointed and mismatched. Also, you can't see the beautiful profile of the pipe.

I'd love to see photos or hear suggestions from your personal collections :)

390067771.jpg

390332288.jpg

389289340.jpg

389289339.jpg

I had a piece of glass from an old entertainment center, bought some candle holders from Hobby Lobby and made the center shelf. Just happened to fit with the other 2 wooden shelves I had.

Every time I place a tobacco order, I order a few of those chrome pipe rest.

For my Lee Von Ercks, I bought that book/box at Hobby Lobby for $10, carved some foam insulation and covered it with some scrap material.

I'm probably the only man who begs his wife to go to Hobby Lobby LOL

Duke

I'm the same way. I don't like the "pipe racks"... most of my pipes are either laying on the shelves or in a single pipe holder.

Duke, I LOVE that horn in pic two next to the old man of the sea...

What is it??????

IMG_0434.jpg

I recently made the table, rack, and two lamps out of Honduran Mahogany. As you can see, the rack is a little too big for some of the pipes. LL has a few of my larger pipes in his shop, and I think they'll fit just fine.

Agree with SP here. Mine lay out in a bookshelf that has now become to small. They display better for me this way and look more uniform. Just got in an old narrow bookshelf from a 2nd hand shop with more shelves. Here I will be able do house at least 100 pipes in a uniform way. It needs a little tlc. will post pics as soon as I am done with restorations!!

Nice setup Duke!

I hate pipe racks. I get old pipe cases from the pipe shop and store them in there. Clean them up and put them away. No exposure to sunlight, no dusting to do, and the cases store away very easily.

Mr_Jeff said:
I hate pipe racks. I get old pipe cases from the pipe shop and store them in there. Clean them up and put them away. No exposure to sunlight, no dusting to do, and the cases store away very easily.

Wow! This is a great idea.

It's so cool to see everyone's solutions. I'd be interested to see if anyone suspends their pipes on pegboard or something similar. I always like this setup a pipe shops.

Maybe I'll ask my local shop where they get the displays.

I love the nostalgia of the pipe rack, but the way these photos show pipes stored and the methods you guys use are pretty cool! :cheers:

Ultraman said:
Mr_Jeff":e0m245kw said:

Wow! This is a great idea.

It's so cool to see everyone's solutions. I'd be interested to see if anyone suspends their pipes on pegboard or something similar. I always like this setup a pipe shops.

Maybe I'll ask my local shop where they get the displays.
Have given the peg board some thought, but with the pipes I have I will need major wall space that I don't have in the man cave.
The best I can do for now is two bookshelves with pipes lying on their side. For me they display better.
I gave my racks away as they were just not uniform enough. As things go, I always run out of rack space.
Have nothing against pipe racks but I need a monster with space for at least 200!

Piet Binsbergen said:
Ultraman":2rzocklm said:
Mr_Jeff":2rzocklm said:
I hate pipe racks.

Have nothing against pipe racks but I need a monster with space for at least 200!
Piet: Will you include me in your Last Will and Testament for about 10 of those beauties? I'll promise to give them a good home. :bounce:

hobie1dog said:
Piet Binsbergen":xvjof75n said:
Ultraman":xvjof75n said:
Mr_Jeff":xvjof75n said:
I hate pipe racks.

Piet: Will you include me in your Last Will and Testament for about 10 of those beauties? I'll promise to give them a good home. :bounce:
Last will and testament has just been changed!!!!!!!! you are welcome Hobie!

Piet Binsbergen said:
hobie1dog":oqbnquos said:
Piet Binsbergen":oqbnquos said:
Ultraman":oqbnquos said:
Mr_Jeff":oqbnquos said:
I hate pipe racks.

Last will and testament has just been changed!!!!!!!! you are welcome Hobie!
You're a fine man, and let it be publicly known that you have officially reached your quota of pipes in this lifetime.

Hey Hobie, I'm not at 200 yet, but need to make provision for years to come. Up to about 80 now!

I don't like your run of the mill pipe racks so decided to explore some design options. Here is something that I just finished working on. Its essentially a 'floating' pipe rack. The base is a Italian exotic wood which is not finished in any way (bough it from the local wood working shop that way). Pipes are fixed with earth magnets. I have a second slab of cocobolo wood that I'm going to make a second one out of at some point.

CanonPicsAug2010124sml.jpg

CanonPicsAug2010125sml.jpg

CanonPicsAug2010126sml.jpg