Does customs open your snuff stuff?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Just got my package from mr snuff. The mailer had been opened and resealed, I'm assuming at customs. The little tins are factory sealed, still they opened a couple.

I opened the envelope and was immediately hit with a strong smell I couldn't identify. Took everything out of the envelope, everything seems to be sealed and in order. Oh, wait, they opened the Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Brown and closed it back up and put a piece of scotch tape over the lid. But what the hell is that smell? The Kendal Brown doesn't smell at all like that. OK. Lids on the other tins seem tight... Oh, wait, the Toque Berwick Brown lid is on but is a little loose, comes right open. Aha! That's the smell! The inside of the envelope smells strongly of Berwick Brown!

Anyone else have this happen?

Yes. I think it's a customs thang. Mexican customs usually will choose which tins I'll smoke first by opening them for me. :roll:

You would think they'd at least mark the opened items to clearly let you know they opened them so the contents aren't lost to the elements.

My first order had a couple of opened tins with Berwick Brown being one of them. I think they enjoy that one.

Thereafter it has happened one other time.

THAT'S the reason I DON'T order 'baccy from overseas!! All Customs agencies are allowed to "check" all packages with US Customs being some of the worst !! Hopefully you received all you ordered !!

monbla256":dwkul6ci said:
THAT'S the reason I DON'T order 'baccy from overseas!! All Customs agencies are allowed to "check" all packages with US Customs being some of the worst !! Hopefully you received all you ordered !!
Eh. For snuff, it isn't a deal killer.

I've only ordered from MrSnuff once so far and my package didn't appear to have been opened at all. However I would not be surprised at all for them to check these packages out. After all how often do most folks ever see nasal snuff.

I've had quite a few orders arrive here from Mr S. and so far as I can tell none have been opened. BTW...that tape across the lid of the Gawith plastic tub is standard, I think. Both mine had it.

Well, I can assure you that quite often, the country where the package comes from is the one that opens it during "outbound examinations". US CBP has little to no time to worry about pipe tobacco and snuff. If the package screens as "organic matter", PPQ / Agricultural Officers "may" look at it but 99.9999999% of the time, they are well aware of what it is.

US CBP does go after cigarettes and Cuban Cigars (That will be ending once the trade agreements happen with Cuba). Cigarettes are BIG money and are part of a very large black market that funds all sorts of nefarious activity.

If you ever have a package that you believe has been "molested" by US CBP, you can file a "tort claim" and recover damages for the item(s) that may have been destroyed. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/178/~/tort-claims---claim-for-property-damage-or-loss,-or-personal-injury,-or-death

However, they will not pay out for damages caused by the US Postal Service or foreign Postal Sevices. US CBP & US Agriculture are mandated by law to mark the package as examined / seized / destroyed.  If you receive a package that isn't marked, it was most likely rifled through by someone else (Postal, Airline, Foreign Authorities, Frieght Company, etc)

Or perhaps someone in Irish customs has an affinity for Berwick Brown. I'll throw at tin in with my next Mr. snuff order and report back as to whether or not it's molested. :p

It may be that none are opened, but the Toque tins come loose in transit.

I doubt they are, but after banging into other tins in transit it isn't inconceiveable that they loosen a bit.

To clarify my original comments, the bag (a self sealing mailer envelope) had been opened and taped closed, the GH& co snuff was opened and the lid taped closed with scotch tape, and the bag reeked of Berwick Brown. It had clearly been gone through, but there was no note declaring so (not even a hastily scribbled review of the Berwick Brown that they so seem to enjoy).

I never had that happen, but the last time I ordered was 2 years ago as I have slacked a bit on snuff taking in favor of pipe and snus. I did have one order that was banged around a lot in shipping and had dented tims with no vacuume seal easily opened lids on SG 25 grams which is pretty hard to do if you've ever tried to open one.