eBay Strategy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
I don't bid until only seconds are left. I set up two screens, one that I can refresh, to see the last bid, and the other to enter bid(s). If I want to bid, all I have to do is hit enter. I wait to submit my bid to the very last second so that no one can find out what to bid against my bid, to top it.

What's your strategy?

Not buying pipes any more, but when I was, the OP's method worked for me about half the time.

One time I set an auto-bid so high that I knew everyone else would be out-bid no matter what - just to see how high an unusually large Wally Frank rusticated Canadian could go. I think I paid $92 for it, which might be the highest price a Wally Frank has ever been driven to.

Steve

To date I've bought exactly one thing from e-bait and it wasn't pipe related.

Frankly I normally avoid that site like the plague, and I seldom go there.

Of course ymmv.

Cheers,

RR

I normally enter my top bid in auto-bid and walk away till it's over.

Last second snipe just like you brother. It's cruel, it's mean, and it usually gets me a great pipe for a great price. :twisted:
Which reminds me.....Sorry to any brothers I may have sniped or will probably snipe a pipe from in the future. :lol!:

Decide on how much I want to pay then wait to the last minute to enter it. If I want something so badly that I can't live without it I'll put in a ridiculous bid. If I'm willing to pay $200.00 for a $20.00 pipe for some reason then that's my bid. I figure if I don't spend my money my wife will..and she'll just waste it on food and clothing for the kids (g). I was severely tempted last night on an Empire State Tomahawk but a little over $50.00 was as far as I could talk myself into. Congrats to the winner!

Although I haven't used eBay in years, if I were to bid on anything I'd use a sniping engine.

Wet Dottle":pqptm359 said:
Although I haven't used eBay in years, if I were to bid on anything I'd use a sniping engine.
I'm with you! All's fair in 'e-prey and pipes :twisted: :twisted:

I also have been a sniping convert for years, after getting about 4 items taken from me in a row in the last seconds of an auction. I was also told that 80% of ebay auctions are won by bids placed in the last 7 seconds of an auction. As that's how things are, I don't feel bad about doing it, even though it does seem unfair. Recently I've been using the free service provided by Gixen to snipe, and I'd recommend it, I used to have to be nailed at my pc at weird hours to try to get the items I wanted as the auction closed, but now its more like shopping.

My B&M sells cigars, cheap pipes, some OTC tobacco. It's mainly a pool hall. Closest tobacconist is an hour away...