Escudo Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadfael

Reaction score
Finally tried some . . . and liked it!

Does it come in bulk or only in the tin?

Thanks!

Escudo is only tinned,

The closest you came get to it in bulk is Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. I was reading about it on TobaccoReviews that said although good, it is not as refined/sophisticated a product as Escudo or Davidoff Flake Medallions; but it is far more affordable. I've not smoked it.

Cadfael":u73rfvxd said:
Finally tried some . . . and liked it!

Does it come in bulk or only in the tin?

Thanks!
Which Escudo did you get? Blater&Blater makes a blend with the same name and it comes in bulk only. It's not the same "coins" type of pressed tobacco rather a loose ribbon cut version of a VERY strong VaPer ! Sounds like you smoked or got the Escudo Navy Cut by Stokobye which only comes in tins. I've tried both and they are both to much of a one dimensional "bomb" type of tobacco for my taste. The Blater version is stonger than the Navy cut IMHO and neither would be tobacco I'll buy again. Just TOO MUCH a one trick pony for me :p

I got the Navy - not the Blatter. Funny, the thing I like about this is that it has the taste but without the bomb for me!

To each his own! :D

alfredo_buscatti":g3ohf5dl said:
Escudo is only tinned,

The closest you came get to it in bulk is Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. I was reading about it on TobaccoReviews that said although good, it is not as refined/sophisticated a product as Escudo or Davidoff Flake Medallions; but it is far more affordable. I've not smoked it.
+1

I've got at least a pound of PS Luxury Bullsye here at all times. It's one of my regular favorites, but definitely not the same as Escudo. Similar though. Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls are almost identical (some argue they actually are the same blend) but at about $4-5 US more per tin than Escudo.

alfredo_buscatti":hig7ir7i said:
Escudo is only tinned,

According to the plant manager at Orlik, Orlik Bullseye, Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake and Davidoff Flake Medallions are the same tobacco...all made by Orlik. The video of the Orlik tour is on youtube in which the plant manager makes the statement to Sykes Wilford. Heck of a difference in prices too. Stokkebye is the lowest priced by far, is an excellent tobacco and is a permanent part of my tobacco rotation as is the Lux. Navy Flake and the Lux. Twist Flake. However, SLBF doesn't taste like Escudo.

williamcharles":s69j1dcn said:
alfredo_buscatti":s69j1dcn said:
Escudo is only tinned,

According to the plant manager at Orlik, Orlik Bullseye, Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake and Davidoff Flake Medallions are the same tobacco...all made by Orlik. The video of the Orlik tour is on youtube in which the plant manager makes the statement to Sykes Wilford. Heck of a difference in prices too. Stokkebye is the lowest priced by far, is an excellent tobacco and is a permanent part of my tobacco rotation as is the Lux. Navy Flake and the Lux. Twist Flake. However, SLBF doesn't taste like Escudo.
Wow! I find a great difference between the tobaccos you mention in this post! I find the Davidoff especially to be much stronger than the others, probably due to the perique. They might all be made there, but I wonder if they are different blends.

I love Escudo, and I love Bullseye, but I don't find them substitutes.

Cadfael":kqpgue66 said:
williamcharles":kqpgue66 said:
alfredo_buscatti":kqpgue66 said:
Escudo is only tinned,

Wow! I find a great difference between the tobaccos you mention in this post! I find the Davidoff especially to be much stronger than the others, probably due to the perique. They might all be made there, but I wonder if they are different blends.
As I stated in my post the plant manager states that they are the same blends. Since they are the same blends one could reasonably think they would contain the same amounts of all three constituent tobaccos. Bear in mind that I'm not making that statement. The Orlik plant manager is the one speaking in the video. You can find and watch the video.

BTW, the same people at Orlik are now stating that OGS does not contain burly but does in fact contain perique. When I heard it I sent e-mails asking if the rumor were true and received the answer that it is the truth. OGS is virginia and perique.

Speaking of which . . . I am out of OGS and need to get some more!

Cadfael":qfsand8f said:
Speaking of which . . . I am out of OGS and need to get some more!
It's good stuff! Surprised hell out of me to find out about the perique. Maybe that's why I like it so much. I also love hell out of PSLNF.

Hey guys, here's a link to the two videos on Smokingpipes.com that involve a tour of the Orlik factory: Smokingpipes.com Orlik Factory Tour

The videos are towards the middle of the page. I'm at work without headphones or I would've narrowed it down for you. :p

I've not smoked the Bullseye, but from what I've read, Escudo is not the same as the Bullseye. And I'm quite sure that Escudo is not the same as the Flake Medallions.

alfredo_buscatti":uo80n5a3 said:
I've not smoked the Bullseye, but from what I've read, Escudo is not the same as the Bullseye. And I'm quite sure that Escudo is not the same as the Flake Medallions.
Right as rain. Neither is the same as Escudo. You never said they were.

I know for sure that all four are good and I know that I wish I had several pounds of each!

Regarding OBE and LBE...in the Orlik tour video listen very closely beginning at position 0.39 through 0.60 regarding OBF and LBF being the same and again at 1.30 where it's stated that in the US it's called LBE and in the rest of the world it's called OBE and available only in tins.