FREE PIPE CONTEST!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kyle. I'm a big fan of the high end danish styles. I like the way they are still functional but are also works of art. To me if I couldn't use it on a daily basis I'd rather spend my money on something else.

i.keen:

I like certain Danish styles, and that one has the elegance and interest I'd highly enjoy, without it looking like a typical 1970s throwback freehand.

Sir Growley:

Even if you don't choose this one, you should consider it later. I think you could do it. 8)

ok my artwork sucks but here goes nothing.

IMG-1.jpg

Ignore the red oak burl in the bottom right ,I was going to try making it by using red oak burl but decided against it. I also think there should be more holes in the top and maybe trim and epoxie a wind protector in the cap to hold it in place. or a hinge like the old danish/ german style

Some great ideas and great artwork so far! It will be fun to choose a winner.

wow I just noticed I wrote dark amber FERREL insteat of bit, I must have drew that up late at night/early morning lol.Also it should be noted that the tan part of the acorn would be smooth. I would kill (figureativly speaking) to have this set. perhaps you could also do the straight one as a Rhodisian. my whole look on this design was an outdoors,hunting fishing type deal. The black and tan Idea came while looking at Mark Tinsky's pipes

Cuervo25_1":x5wuy303 said:
wow I just noticed I wrote dark amber FERREL insteat of bit, I must have drew that up late at night/early morning lol. I would kill (figureativly speaking) to have this set. perhaps you could also do the straight one as a Rhodisian. my whole look on this design was an outdoors,hunting fishing type deal.
I'm seeing what you're saying. It would also be cool to set it up as an interchangeable stem, meaning you only have one bowl but both the churchwarden stem and the short stem.

In this case they would both have to be bent pipes, but that could be cool.

Good ideas.

Growley":dxw1vgp1 said:
Cuervo25_1":dxw1vgp1 said:
wow I just noticed I wrote dark amber FERREL insteat of bit, I must have drew that up late at night/early morning lol. I would kill (figureativly speaking) to have this set. perhaps you could also do the straight one as a Rhodisian. my whole look on this design was an outdoors,hunting fishing type deal.
I'm seeing what you're saying. It would also be cool to set it up as an interchangeable stem, meaning you only have one bowl but both the churchwarden stem and the short stem.

In this case they would both have to be bent pipes, but that could be cool.

Good ideas.
A bent Rhodisian would rock!

Another Idea just came to mind two large bowls two small bowls one of each of the sizes would be for straight and the others for bent. that way you can have travel size and "lodge" size for being at home, in the cabin or whatever.

kieveryuu":v979yl2m said:
Well, I have a few ideas. So long as you allow the submitter to also make the pipe shape (I hope to start carving this summer sometime).

You say all shapes, but do you have a preference? Such as bulldog?
Sorry, Just saw this question. I honestly prefer natural shapes, meaning shapes you might find in nature or normal life. Leafy, round, bulbous, organic, exotic, artistic.

As I walk around I'm constantly looking at things and wondering if the shape would make for a good pipe. I want people to stop me on the street when I'm smoking pipes and ask me what I'm smoking, and not be referring to the tobacco :D

Growley":feq0ixdo said:
kieveryuu":feq0ixdo said:
Well, I have a few ideas. So long as you allow the submitter to also make the pipe shape (I hope to start carving this summer sometime).

Sorry, Just saw this question. I honestly prefer natural shapes, meaning shapes you might find in nature or normal life. Leafy, round, bulbous, organic, exotic, artistic.

As I walk around I'm constantly looking at things and wondering if the shape would make for a good pipe. I want people to stop me on the street when I'm smoking pipes and ask me what I'm smoking, and not be referring to the tobacco :D
i was thinking the same thing the other day looking at a pinecone. then again I also see the same things in steeples and church bells

Hater":sgqpjwos said:
Growley":sgqpjwos said:
kieveryuu":sgqpjwos said:

i was thinking the same thing the other day looking at a pinecone. then again I also see the same things in steeples and church bells
Pinecone shaped sounds interesting.

Well, as I said I have a couple of ideas, I will be able to post them sometime Sunday (likely later in the day). A few nice organic shapes that might fit nicely with your particular carving skills.

However it turns out, I like the pipe you are so kindly offering and will look forward to seeing the idea you choose come to life.

Something with Brass Inserts, and Brass Tubing for the draw. Sorry for the rough Sketch, but I was in a hurry. You'll notice that in the center of the Brass Tubing there is a Briar insert, slotted on each side to accept the contours of the tubing. Double ring shank inserts on the stummel, Brass, Briar,Ebonite, Brass & on the stem copy the same pattern of inserts attached to the Stem, but use more Briar to allow the tenon to accept the stem.

Geez, Cyg! Sure you got that pic big enough? :p

Ok, this idea just popped up on another thread. How about a bulldog in the shape of half of the handset to an old Bell 300 telephone? :)

Sorry my scanner was taken by the EX, so I snapped a Pic with my cellphone, and attached it to the message. I wasn't sure if the writing was legible and the drawing notes clear enough.

CygnusXII":bir4uzoy said:
Sorry my scanner was taken by the EX, so I snapped a Pic with my cellphone, and attached it to the message. I wasn't sure if the writing was legible and the drawing notes clear enough.
Can you DOWNSIZE your pics? they are HUGE! And make it hard to see 'em completely even on a 24" monitor :p :p

Seems pretty clear to me at standard size. I was just giving you a little guff, Cygnus, but is is kinda annoying when the pic's so wide it screws up the response page. :)