Greetings, Salutations, Hello, Et cetera…

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill (w/eoPd)

Reaction score
I am a Texan from a small town but have never actually spoken the word "Howdy" in my life, so it did not make the cut.

I am 28 years old and was recently diagnosed with early-onset Parkinson's disease (eoPd). The disease has already cost me my job~career as a welder and my fiancé (who does not deserve to be straddled with my burden). I started smoking at the repeated suggestions (not advice) of a doctor, who told me that a lot of evidence suggests tobacco consumption can possibly delay and/or subdue some of the effects of Parkinson's disease.

Having never liked the smell of cigarettes but loving the smell of my great-uncle's pipe from childhood, I bought the only type of pipe that the local store sells (cheap, plastic, Chinese) and a couple packages of the only pipe tobacco the local store sells (Sir Walter Raleigh). I have been smoking 8-10 times a day, which isn't as much as it probably sounds like considering my pipe's bowl size.

Howdy and welcome to our little group from Arizona high country. And I do say howdy quite often being a horse guy, lol. Nothing wrong with SWR but go online and get a couple of MM cobs. They are cheap and will probably smoke a lot better than what you have now. The MM general is a good cob for SWR.

Welcome to the group! Ranger is right about corn cob pipes. To keep it inexpensive you can try a few MM Missouri Prides, and step up the the Legends or Washington's. They're all available in straight or bent configurations. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
The Country Gentleman is also a very nice choice.

Welcome, from...

Welcome.jpg

I concur with other members that a cobs are a good way to start, my preference is MM's Legend, 5th Avenue or Rob Roy. Nice size, simple styles, durable, and easy on the wallet. Cobs are a good way to get an unfettered and neutral impression of the different characters of tobacco types. They are also forgiving of the mistakes we all make early in this hobby of ours ... things that might damage or ruin a more expensive briar.

Attachments

• MM Legend 5th Avenue.jpg
    MM Legend 5th Avenue.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a feeling your current pipe would resemble my Nording Shorty, which is really only marketed as a ten minute smoke. I imagine it is more frequently purchased by afficionados of another type of smoke. It is an excellent pipe for sampling tobaccos, a ceramic bowl is completely neutral and imparts no flavour to what you are smoking.

1717258455562.jpeg

I have a feeling your current pipe would resemble my Nording Shorty, which is really only marketed as a ten minute smoke. I imagine it is more frequently purchased by afficionados of another type of smoke. It is an excellent pipe for sampling tobaccos, a ceramic bowl is completely neutral and imparts no flavour to what you are smoking.

View attachment 19224
🤔

That is a Cadillac and this is a Reliant Robin:
View attachment 19242
I see, thanks for posting it. Very impressed that you know what a Reliant Robin is, though. (y)
BTW, SWR is a popular "Codger" blend, I often smoke it at work. Half and Half, Captain Black Original, and Borkum Riff Original are others you may find easily and enjoy without breaking the bank. I can't speak to Prince Albert of Carter Hall but they often appear in conversations here, too.

Don't be too hard on your current pipe, it will always be your first.:p

Hello Bill
And a warm welcome to BoB.
As an Englishman, Smoking corn cob pipes seems foreign to us. However so many people on here swear by them, so much so that I bought one to try, and then another, and another still.
In other words, the advice from the BoB is spot on, and cobs are worthy enough to be in anyone's pipe cabinet.
old-pipe-smokers.jpg