I want to hear more more put downs of corncob pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard plenty of putdowns of Corncobs from members of a long ago pipe forum. Now I want to hear some BoB hate speech Re: corncobs. C'mon hit me with yer best shot! ;)
Dont reckon your going to get any haters here peter :) personally without sounding to crass "they give me a chubby a cat couldn't scratch":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:love em

Last edited:
Just a discussion, and a thread about likes and dislikes, Jim. Don't think the OP meant any ill will by it, but if I'm wrong, and if my response added to any overall negativity, I apologize. I recall I started a thread a while back about the fact that I don't care for cobs; if that was wrong I stand chastised.

Just a discussion, and a thread about likes and dislikes, Jim. Don't think the OP meant any ill will by it, but if I'm wrong, and if my response added to any overall negativity, I apologize. I recall I started a thread a while back about the fact that I don't care for cobs; if that was wrong I stand chastised.
There's nothing wrong with stating dislike of cobs or tobaccos, etc. But, the opening statement is provocative to me, and not calling for a even handed discussion of the subject. I would say the latter would be more instructive, especially to beginners reading the thread. A least some of that has occurred here.

There's nothing wrong with stating dislike of cobs or tobaccos, etc. But, the opening statement is provocative to me, and not calling for a even handed discussion of the subject. I would say the latter would be more instructive, especially to beginners reading the thread. A least some of that has occurred here.
I agree Jim.

As someone who misstepped with an introduction that openly antagonized membership on this site a year ago - a poorly considered attempt to provoke discussion - I think "edgy" commentary belongs in the rubber room.

Your question shows you have a sense of humor. And that's more important here than the actual issue of corn cobs. I have two or three of them, as well as briars. After total destruction they all look the same.

Wouldn't it be better to make a positive contribution to the forum instead of a negative one?

Hmmm. Looking at his intro comments cobs are one of his typical tools of the trade. Obviously he doesn’t believe cobs are bad boys. So I have to deduce that the ‘hit me with yer best shot’ thing is just to give us a hint as to his self perceived charming character. He’s just coming onto a quiet pond and tossing out a well known lure to see if he gets a bite. Is that trolling? Whatever. Watching. Always watching.

Whooa, hold on a minute here, I'm no troll, I don't go around the internet universe starting fires, then enjoy watching them burn. I do shoot my mouth off at times, which is part of my personality, and I hereby make a blanket apology to those I may have offended recently.

Whooa, hold on a minute here, I'm no troll, I don't go around the internet universe starting fires, then enjoy watching them burn. I do shoot my mouth off at times, which is part of my personality, and I hereby make a blanket apology to those I may have offended recently.

None of us really see ourself as others see us. Likely a good thing. Some perspective…I haven’t had a complaint re member behavior in the last year…til now. You’ve caused four. So whatever you see yourself as doing, others see you differently.

And again…arguing with a moderator in the open forum is grounds for immediate banishment. Post with prudence.

You want a put down, I'll give you one. I WANT A VULCANITE STEM OPTION! Got in contact with MM and they said more or less no one likes Vulcanite, everyone loves Lucite don't bother us again you wingnut;). Vermont freehand has on their site Vulcanite stems coming soon, been saying that for two. three, or more Years now. Come on, :poop: or get off the pot. Lucite looks nice but I don't smoke any pipe for looks let alone MM. Love my cobbs, was all I smoked for the first 25-30 years only branch into Bryer and meerschaum 15-20 ago.
I took the first post as tongue and cheek, then I'm not as sensitive as some.

Last edited:
Cobs are apart of American nostalgia. I like the history behind them too. A furniture maker turned corn cob manufacturer. Pretty cool. I don't smoke them all the time, not because I don't like them but because I only own three that I bought and two that were gifted to me from the 60s. The only tobacco I smoke in my cobs are burley. Plus I'm a vulcanite fan. I love a nice old briar billiard with a vulcanite stem. I do want to buy a few more bent Rob Roy bent cobs! They are my favorite shape.