Jim's Revised Amphora Red and Brown Reviews.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Recently, Sutliff sent me pouches of MacBaren's Amphora Original (Brown) and Amphora Full Aroma (Red) for review. As the new manufacture I have received is very fresh, virtually having come straight from the processing line to my door, I noticed a few differences because the tobacco is fresher than what I have smoked in the past. The toppings are a little stronger and sublimate the tobaccos a little more due to that freshness. They were still very good, but I decided to dry out the tobacco a bit to see what would happen. I discovered that the effect of dry time resulted in delivering the very same taste I was experiencing all these past years, and that I had never smoked the Amphoras when they were freshly made. I have rewritten my reviews to reflect all of this.

If you have smoked the Original and/or the Full Aroma, in recent years, you will find that nothing has changed in the composition of the blends. Whether you decide to dry them or not, I found both blends to be full of flavor as always in either direction you go. Both blends, now owned and made by MacBaren, are scheduled for February release in the USA after a more than twenty years absence.

Amphora Full Aroma (Red):
The topping has some flowery floralness as well as a deep fruitiness that includes orange and raspberry, the latter being more prominent. There's a little grass, earth citrus and dark fruit from the Virginias. The burley is earthy and nutty with natural sweetness, though the toppings sublimate the last two characteristics of the burley. The Kentucky is woody, little smoky, nutty, and earthy in a minor role. The strength and taste falls just shy of the medium mark. Has a mild nic-hit. The tobacco is ribbon cut with a little broken flake in the mix. It won’t bite even when pushed. Fresh or dried, it burns well with few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. The after taste and room note are very pleasant. An all day smoke with a very cool, smooth, and slight creamy consistent flavors.

The flower topping diminishes a little, while the fruit toppings and tobaccos become a little more obvious when dried. Your personal preference will dictate your preparation.

They call it "full aroma" and indeed it is. Some mistake "full" for being strong. This isn't. It's full of flavor, but not strong in the sense that experienced pipe smokers would classify it as a "strong" smoke. However, the room note is full, and maybe that's what they mean by the description. Goes well with anything you drink and anything you do.

Amphora Original (Brown):
The rich chocolate topping is obvious without overwhelming the tobaccos. The burleys have a toasted nuttiness along with earth and a little molasses, and takes a little more of the lead than the grass, earth, and citrus from the Virginia. In a support role, the Kentucky has a little smoky woodiness with a bare hint of spice. The Oriental is lightly floral with a little smoke and wood, plus a very minor sour note as it playfully lingers in the background. The strength and taste is mild to medium. Won’t bite even when puffed fast. The nic-hit ranges between mild and moderate. The tobaccos are ribbon cut with a little broken flake. The blend is subtly complex with a very cool, clean and smooth, fairly consistent flavor from start to finish. The only change in flavor I have ever noticed is that the burleys and Kentucky seem to stand out just a little more after the half way point. Has no dull or harsh spots. Requires few relights, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a nice after taste and pleasant room note. An all day smoke that is very easy on your senses.

If you give it any dry time, you will find the tobacco flavor more noticeable without totally losing the chocolate topping. I dry it, and my review reflects that experience. Fresh and moist, you will find the tobaccos are mildly sublimated by the topping as I previously noted.

Thanks Jim for your reviews. :)

They're in at 4 Noggins & smokingpipes.com! :D

Just ordered 2 of each, see what it gives.

You know, I think I will have to try those, they sound quite nice!

Thanks for the info Jim!

Oh, and I wrote to Sutliff yesterday, about their Special Reserve Black Cavendish? It's coming to us sometime in the spring.

I can't (much happy cussing) waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit for that one.