LJ Peretti Thanksgiving Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a 4 oz. cake. The shipping amount was outrageous, but I've wanted to try this blend (or any Peretti's blend) for some time so I bit the bullet.

The high shipping cost seems in line with what I've run into on ebay from time to time with sellers who make extra money on what they charge for shipping. I can think of no other explanation for charging so much and unless I just love this stuff I won't order again. Business must be good if they feel they can overcharge for shipping like they obviously are.

The Thanksgiving blend came in yesterday. So far I have smoked two bowls of it. One out of a Canadian used for aros, and one out of a MM Washington cob. It appears to me that either this blend has changed or I have changed. I'm not ready to give up on it yet, but it seems to burn a little hot, and I'm not picking up much flavor from it. My initial impression of it is not very high. I look forward to seeing others views on it so I will know if I'm off my rocker. In past years I have always looked forward to this blend, so I am somewhat disappointed. I wonder if it's because of the other tobaccos that I have been smoking lately. :scratch:

Simple Man":h1eul6gq said:
The Thanksgiving blend came in yesterday. So far I have smoked two bowls of it. One out of a Canadian used for aros, and one out of a MM Washington cob. It appears to me that either this blend has changed or I have changed. I'm not ready to give up on it yet, but it seems to burn a little hot, and I'm not picking up much flavor from it. My initial impression of it is not very high. I look forward to seeing others views on it so I will know if I'm off my rocker. In past years I have always looked forward to this blend, so I am somewhat disappointed. I wonder if it's because of the other tobaccos that I have been smoking lately. :scratch:
This same thing happened to me recently when I tried a Sutliff Aro blend that I like some years back. Strange how our tastes change or evolve. Use to love black coffee and fast women, now it's cream and sugar and, slower paced ones so I can catch'em. ;)

I realized while smoking some Three Nuns today that my tongue must have gotten a bit scorched. I could taste the TN, but it was a lot less distinguishable than usual. I think it happened while I was smoking Modern Virginia the other day. Anyway, I will give the tongue a rest for a day or two and give this a try again. I can't believe that something I once liked so well would seem so bland to me now.

My Thanksgiving Blend order arrived yesterday and I'm on my third bowl as I type this (the wife is away for the weekend so I'm boldly enjoying my pipes indoors).

I like it so far, really great taste, but perhaps not enough to order more with the inflated shipping costs. They ship UPS ground so it took a full 5 days to arrive, I would think USPS could do it faster and for less money. There's no reason this blend, 4oz. in a plastic bag, needs to be shipped in a box 3/4 loaded with the huge bubble plastic.

The downside to this blend so far is that is seems to burn hot in the pipe and initial lights are hot on the tongue though that improves in short order and is typical of many aros to me. Once I got it going there weren't any relights and it's not too moist in the bag. Right now I'm smoking it in a no name apple which is pretty decent smoker. I'll give it a break for a few hours and see how it does in my trusty Kirsten.

Thanks for the info Rob. I have been curious about this blend for a while, I just don't want to pay the shipping charges. I think I'll stick to John Patton's Storm Front for my winter burley. It's cheaper, and Rich's shipping prices are very fair.

DrumsAndBeer":zuf8af3v said:
Thanks for the info Rob. I have been curious about this blend for a while, I just don't want to pay the shipping charges. I think I'll stick to John Patton's Storm Front for my winter burley. It's cheaper, and Rich's shipping prices are very fair.
I have both and Storm Front is better, imo. I also jarred some Dark & Stormy.