Margate

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've now had 3 or 4 bowls of Margate and my opinion of it is perhaps more positive than after the first bowl. In fact just finished a bowl and have to marvel at what is is, and is not....more on that in a sec......

First, bear in mind the weed I have is very well aged. And it's a bit on the dry side, which I find contributes to the experience. To each his own on that front.

Overall the balance of the Lat/Orientals is such that while there is the smoky character of the Lat present, it clearly does not dominate in any way, shape, or form. Totally integrated. And yet, there's a component that succeeds to elude me in description. Whatever it is, it seems to bring the sum of the parts together in a manner I've never experienced.

While my tastes currently do not gravitate towards Latakia-forward blends right now (they used to not so long ago) I find Margate to be totally unique and stand alone in the world of Latakia.

This is clearly not a sweet blend (as opposed to dry). The flavors are simply austere, basic, and plainly presented. Sort of a "like it or not proposition", if you see what I mean.

And yet I find this strangely compelling, like a sirens song. But still, only when the mood is upon me, as I'm normally a VA/VaPer kinda guy for the most part.

Margate is a very interesting blend. Kind of defies convention.

As always, ymmv.....

Cheers,

RR

Just a quick note to say that I, too, found the total lack of Virginias in Margate an interesting thing. I approached it with a certain caution.

I love it. I've been buying up vintage tins and packs of it and blending it with mature red virginias, getting a fantastic result. That having been said here, I find that Margate on its own still transmits the sweetness one expects from fine Orientals and the smokiness of the latakia one might expect. Margate is not overwhelming in Latakia. It is very balanced.

ZuluCollector":j374a3z0 said:
Just a quick note to say that I, too, found the total lack of Virginias in Margate an interesting thing. I approached it with a certain caution.

I love it. I've been buying up vintage tins and packs of it and blending it with mature red virginias, getting a fantastic result. That having been said here, I find that Margate on its own still transmits the sweetness one expects from fine Orientals and the smokiness of the latakia one might expect. Margate is not overwhelming in Latakia. It is very balanced.
I too have "cut" Margate with Red Cake. It's one of my favorite creations.
I have even done a parfait (Here's to you Ken!) of Red Cake / Margate / Anniversary Kake (It's amazing what you'll try when you have odds & ends lying around)

ZuluCollector":yg5z2bnw said:

Interesting. I don't get any sweetness at all from Margate. Just finished another bowl of it not an hour ago.

Still can't pinpoint the elusive character it has. But whatever it is, it's really fine.

Cheers,

RR

Just had another bowl. This time with a current release.

While the moisture content was a small bit more than what I'd been smoking, the overall balance was right on the money.

Very beguiling and elusive. Yet compelling at the same time.

In fact I don't gravitate towards Lat-forward blends these day. And I don't rate this as one of those.

Yes, there's that je ne sais quoi.....

Cheers,

RR