New member saying hello

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Gunn

Reaction score
Hello to the group. I'm in my mid 70's and started smoking a pipe back in high school. By sophmore year of college (UNC-Greensboro) I had switched over to cigarettes, but once married in my late 20's I put down the cigarettes and went back to pipes and the occasional cigar. I found this group while trying to find out something about a Savinelli Antique Shell that I acquired off Ebay about 15 yrs ago. It has a Stinger, but all the new ones I see now use 6mm balsa filters. This is one of my best smokers and I just wondered how old it is?

Welcome! Pull up a chair and set a spell. I'm afraid I can't help you with the provenance of your pipe, but I'm sure someone will come along that can.
Welcome.jpg

Welcome to the group! All my Savinelli pipes use the balsa filter but I smoke them without the filter.
Thanks for your response. I have another Savinelli that doesn't have a stinger, and I smoke it without a filter. I've got only two other pipes with stingers, a Kaywoodie and a Ropp, but neither of them are as pleasant to smoke as the Antique Shell.

Last edited:
Welcome from Arizona high country. Had a lot of Savs over the years, from the early 70s till now. Never had one with a stinger. Most had the 9mm filter but never used them. Maybe post a photo? Might help someone who knows Savs to ID the year. Jiminks?

Howdy Harold, welcome from centeral Oregon's high desert juniper forest.
Thanks for the welcome. I don't know much about Oregon. I drove through the southeast part of the state back around 1980. It seemed to me like the surface of the moon until I got to Klamath Falls. Glad to hear you've got some forest. Maybe one day soon I'll travel that way again.

Thanks for the welcome. I don't know much about Oregon. I drove through the southeast part of the state back around 1980. It seemed to me like the surface of the moon until I got to Klamath Falls. Glad to hear you've got some forest. Maybe one day soon I'll travel that way again.
Oregon is one of those states that has most every biome. We have everything from arid deserts and rolling sand dune plains to costal rainforests and mountaintop evergreen forests that are buried in snow 11 months of the year. Wonderful land.
If you come through, we'll have to get a burger and a smoke.