Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
Norton Motorcycles has issued a press release noting another milestone in effort to return to the States: it has successfully completed durability and emissions testing for its Commando 961 Cafe Racer (pictured), 961 Sport and 961 SE bikes. Now the niche English motorcycle firm needs to submit and receive approvals for safety and compliance documentation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as well as complete other paperwork protocols for the Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board. Then it can submit individual requests to each state, and assuming all of that goes well, it can start shipping its modern retro wares here.

That doesn't, however, mean you can expect to own a Norton as soon as the mountain of paperwork has been scaled. If an article called "Nortongate" on the motorcycle site Hell for Leather is to be believed, Norton is now very poorly run, citing a woeful record of failing to deliver bikes – not to mention properly engineering it 961 line. Thus, U.S. approvals might not mean much. Using public access documents and speaking to numerous customers and people that have worked for and done business with Norton all the way up to August of this year, the story makes it seem much more reasonable to take one's chances with a vintage Norton rather than the new ones ostensibly on the way.

norton-commando-961.jpg

2010-Norton-Commando961a.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/29/norton-commando-one-step-closer-to-the-states-hopefully/[img

It is a shame that Norton is such an administrative mess because that bike is smoking!!!!!

Thanks for posting that Dutch. I sold my bike many years ago (BIG MISTAKE) and fell off following the world of motocycles. Maybe I need to start paying more attention.

Mo, as you probably already know, a lot of old school bikers always preferred the Nortons and Triumphs back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, because Harleys were notorious for breaking down. It made a lot of bikers hesitant to ride very far from home on a Harley.

Btw, your girls are absolutely adorable. Very cool pic!

Back in the day, the Norton was one of the hottest bikes on the road - performance wise!

While I can't say for sure, I'd bet good money that this new version would be a hell of a runner too.

Dutch":4nd0autn said:
Mo, as you probably already know, a lot of old school bikers always preferred the Nortons and Triumphs back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, because Harleys were notorious for breaking down. It made a lot of bikers hesitant to ride very far from home on a Harley.

Btw, your girls are absolutely adorable. Very cool pic!
I did know that Norton and Triumph are older companies, but I did not know they benefitted from Harley's poor production in the 70's. I appreciate the older designs (with new technology). I love Triumphs as well. Now if Indian can get thier act straight...that would be something to see.

Thank you for the comment about my girls. That picture was taken about 15 years ago. Here's what they look like now (they are flip-flopped):

DSC_0050.jpg

Mo, I'm sure there are times when you wanted to carry a very big stick! :geek:

Such beautiful motorcycles - they've done a great job of capturing the old look - that's my first impression.

Sadly, the second impression that popped into my twisted brain is the image of one of those going down on Mulholland Drive (ouch!). After they reach the US its only a matter of time before we see that on Youtube.

Steve

The new Norton saga has been a mess for 4-5 years now. It's too bad Triumph didn't buy that brand and work their magic. Can you imagine going into a shop and seeing new Triumphs and Nortons? My first motorcycle ride was on the back of an 850 Commando circa 1973.

Although Triumph doesn't own Norton, they have the same design idea. The Triumph Thruxton:

Thruxton_DiabloRed_RHS.jpg

Although it's not a classic design, this is one of my all time Triumph favorites - Speed Triple

2012-speedtripler-paint-black-386x234.jpg

Gentlemen, I currently own a 2010 Triumph Speed Triple. By far the most fun on two wheels I have ever had. And I have owned an Aprilia RSV Mille! I love my Triumph. It is not my first, and it will not be my last. I do plan to keep this one forever.

Currently I am in need of a motorcycle that will accomodate my girls (my wife and my daughter). The Speed Triple does not accomodate a passenger at all. I am considering a Harley, but am actually leaning towards a Triumph Rocket III Touring.

THEN, my good sirs, I will be free to look for my irrational toy, a cafe racer. I have been watching the Norton saga play out. Not only is the company stumbling, but the price of the motorcycles is prohibitive. A good Triumph Thruxton or Ducati GT1000 will do quite nicely, thank you.

Cheers!