Nosewarmers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that one is cool. I am a fan, but have never picked one up....maybe that will be my next purchase!

RealtorFrank":m2d3t4u9 said:
Wow, that one is cool. I am a fan, but have never picked one up....maybe that will be my next purchase!
I honestly did not think I would like it as much as I do. I had only one pipe in my racks approaching these dimensions (a 1978 Mastero de Paja which does not achieve "brucianaso" status because the proportions are not quite ''chubby' enough), and never thought I would buy a true 'nosewarmer'. However, I had been wanting a Posella in that particular finish, and am now glad I went with the nosewarmer. It is an unexpected surprise.

That Posella is gorgeous! I, too like the stout, thick-walled style of nosewarmers.

Neatpipes is like catnip for 'warmer fans; I have two of their Radice "Chubby" billiards, one 1/4 bent and one straight.

I also have an Askwith Rhodesian nosewarmer that sort of hovers stylewise between Italian and British proportion. It's one of those "Why don't I smoke this pipe more often?" pipes.

Doc Manhattan":ir8miv6e said:
That Posella is gorgeous! I, too like the stout, thick-walled style of nosewarmers.

Neatpipes is like catnip for 'warmer fans; I have two of their Radice "Chubby" billiards, one 1/4 bent and one straight.

I also have an Askwith Rhodesian nosewarmer that sort of hovers stylewise between Italian and British proportion. It's one of those "Why don't I smoke this pipe more often?" pipes.
Nice. I am totally sold on the Radice "chubby" billiards, and have been eying one as the possible second brucianaso acquisition.

I would love to see some pics of your two Radices and the Askwith.

Perhaps this is the onset of a major PAD attack?

I'll snap some shots in the AM!

Those brucianasi that Luca commisions (and helps design, I believe) are ridiculously nice. I stopped at the two and made sure they didn't match so I'd avoid the lure of building a seven-day set.

MisterE":ppgmyt7d said:
The rustication on the Posella is amazing. I´ve never seen anything like it. :cheers:
Me neither. It reminds me a bit of lava rock, barring the regularity of the design.

Looks like sugar crystals to me...

8633735-brown-amber-sugar-crystal-on-wood-stick.jpg

Suh-weet! I was thinking "stubby thistle", but however you picture it, it's well executed.

Buddy

Nosewarmers? Yeah. I suppose you could say I'm a fan. The whole short pipe thing became an obsession with me quite a while ago. I even wrote an article, Burns The Nose, about the silly little things. I love 'em. And, I too was seduced by one of those wonderful Posellas. The rustication did it.

5302122907_b429a5d887_z.jpg

There's other news coming on the not-quite-nosewarmer front. Luca and I are getting ready to release the third limited edition of our Pease/diPiazza pipes, made in collaboration with Luigi Radice. I can't reveal the details quite yet, but this one is really fun, and quite different from the first two.

Here's the Manhattan Nosewarmer roster, as promised...

Radice chubby, "Radice" finish (redundant, no?)

Radice 1/4 bent chubby, Virgin Rind

Askwith Nosewarmer Rho

Gregor Lobnik "Snublin"

Ditto, just to show off a little birdseye.

The rustication on those Posellas remind me of the fruiting body of a morel mushroom.

This lightweight nosewarmer by David Johnson is my favorite. More often he turns out what I would call "almost-nosewarmers", and I've bought a handful of those.

johnson_smooth_billiard_nosewarmer_2.jpg

A nosewarmer appeals to me if the bowl is light. For instance, I traded the Wiley example below due to its heavy bowl. The Plateau Patina in this photo met the same fate for the same reason.

Steve

wiley_1.jpg

Wow, Doc, that Gregor Lobnik "Snublin" is amazing too...

I´m going to get in to nosewarmers, it´s official now.... :cheers:

Wow. What a response. Even the Dark Lord weighed in (with a tantalizing announcement none the less). Keep the pics coming - what a great assemblage so far (and Doc's Radice 1/4 bent chubby in the Virgin Rind finish is a shape to die for).

Here are a couple of faves. A charming little Le Nuvole from last year:

5324057241_bdb02107d9_z.jpg

And a Radice Underwood. I figure it's as close as I'll ever get to a Castello #10 Epoca:

4178738641_ffab5b2e96_z.jpg

MisterE":n4l74a5f said:
Wow, Doc, that Gregor Lobnik "Snublin" is amazing too...

I´m going to get in to nosewarmers, it´s official now.... :cheers:
Ditto that! Liking that Lobnik. :cheers: