Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelcicada

Reaction score
I appreciate the benefits of the shellac with regards to a collectors piece that will remain unsmoked, however, aside from the aesthetics I cannot really see any other benefits of having a shellac on a smoker. What do you think ?

It's good in a light, very thinned-out amount on a rusticated piece, as was suggested to me after I carved my first pipe. It smokes fine, it seems.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Peterson uses shellac on any of their pipes. I've been in their factory a few times over the years and have never seen them use shellac.

It's often confused with pipes that are given an extensive carnauba wax treatment, a highly refined buffing with layers of the stuff that will eventually wear off. But as I said, I could be wrong though.

Peterson do occasionally use a reddish Polyurethane finish. It is unmistakeable. Avoid it - it looks & feels cheap & nasty.

The majority of my Pete's are not finished but I'm certain there is a finish on two of them. I guess my question should have been would anyone recommend against removing a finish from a regular rotation pipe?

steelcicada":xctv4o6k said:
The majority of my Pete's are not finished but I'm certain there is a finish on two of them. I guess my question should have been would anyone recommend against removing a finish from a regular rotation pipe?
Does pipe-in-question smoke abhorrently? If yes, is it the pipe or the finish? Hate for you to go to a bunch of trouble for nothing, or, ruin a pipe. You might need a different pipe, as an alternative.

Shellac is gas permeable. I've never noticed anything ill smoking about ones I've owned. One might want to try to remove it if the appearance is unpleasant, but I wouldn't how to do it.

Steve

I suppose a good sanding would do it, but I work with shellac on older gun stocks quite a bit, a lot of Eastern Bloc rifles used the stuff, also Russian milsurps. It's easy to strip off with denatured alcohol, but I find the stain (if any) in the shellac sometimes sticks around.

Gun stocks do not equal briar pipes. :lol: :)