Savinelli or artisan pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vandal

Reaction score
It’s to be my second pipe, the first is a beautiful Vauen almar churchwarden. I’m looking for a second pipe that is a bit more travel/walk friendly and won’t look like cosplay at social gatherings (though I do love the wizard aesthetic, I’d also like something I can use hands free for periods as I read or write, so a lighter, shorter pipe with a wide fishtail stem seems in order.)

Looking at a Savinelli 626 Miele as I like the bent apple look. By all accounts it should be a great option. It has an acrylic stem. It takes the balsa filters people seem to like.

However, I then came across an artisan pipe of roughly the same shape and size. It’s quite beautiful, and it’s also got an ebonite stem which seems nice for comfort. It doesn’t use filters. The shop (blue room briars) promises lifetime refurbishment for shipping cost. It’s not too much more, at least both feel within comfortable spending range.

Given the choice, would it be better to simply go for the artisan pipe, or is there more to consider?

My mistake in assuming the artisanal pipe was an estate. Considering your comment on using the pipe hands-free ie. a clincher, the Savinelli would be the choice for me. It is 1/3 lighter and has a more substantive stem. You also mentioned wanting a pipe that would be walk and travel friendly, inobtrusive. It has marvelous colour and shape. The GB is a handsome pipe in its own right but I would be inclined to use it in a more restive setting. In the end, the heart wants what the heart wants. Welcome to the world of PAD (pipe acquisition disorder).

Last edited: