Scratch eraser?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck buffing out a shallow scratch on a smooth pipe? If so, any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Harlock999... Scratches on stems are a piece of cake, as the saying goes. Scratches on briar are something else altogether. Getting the scratch out is easy (sanding); not destroying the finish of the pipe in the process would seem difficult if not impossible. I'll be interested to see the responses from some of the veteran carvers and pipe-reconditioning experts here. Hopefully someone is willing to share a "trick of the trade." (My guess is that the aim is to disguise or minimize the appearance of the scratch.) Best of luck.

I've seen that buffing can reduce a dent in briar. The guy who reconditions my pipes expained that his method is to buff the spot until friction warms and expands the wood under the dent. It rebounds only partially, leaving the dent reduced compared to before the buffing. I do not know if it works on all bowls, or on scratches, but it has reduced dents on a few of my pipes.

Steve

Many dents can be totally or almost totally removed using steam. Heat a flat blade screwdriver up til it's just shy of red hot and press it onto a few layers of water moistened paper towel that are placed on the dent. This will also only dull the finish instead of removing it, so it'll buff back up nicely.

Scratches, I don't know about, but most "scratches" on pipes are actually dents.

Rad

Rad Davis":vg3upirh said:
Many dents can be totally or almost totally removed using steam. Heat a flat blade screwdriver up til it's just shy of red hot and press it onto a few layers of water moistened paper towel that are placed on the dent. This will also only dull the finish instead of removing it, so it'll buff back up nicely.

Scratches, I don't know about, but most "scratches" on pipes are actually dents.

Rad
Man, that´s brilliant!

I never woulda come up with an idea like that in million years on my own, hahahaha. It makes total sense once you know, but thinking that up is really innovative. :shock: :shock:

Awesome!

Can't beat the source... That's about as authoritative as it gets!

ruta2":3ikvgq6i said:
Can't beat the source...
Many lunker trout and bass disagree. They are snickering this very minute, in fact.