shapes and the makers you associate with them

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Today's walk had me thinking about shapes and how I associate certain makers as their quintessential representatives. This is not limited to the maker's ability to consistently hit that shape square on the nose, but also that maker providing a consistently great smoke via that shape. The first to come to mind was Castello and the lovat. I've owned several Castello 75 KKKK Sea Rock lovats, and each of them was a fantastic smoker while nailing the shape perfectly. I've had relatively mediocre luck with all other Castellos (tens of them at least), but those 75s were always a sure bet.

from my experience, this is the list I've compiled so far:
apple - Sasieni
billiard - Dunhill
brandy - Nording
bulldog - ?
calabash - Peterson
canadian - Barling
dublin - ?
full bent - Dunhill
lovat - Castello
oom paul - Castello
panel - Ashton
poker - Ashton
pot - Charatan
prince - Charatan

what say you about your associations?

I often associate Stanwell with bulldogs, especially the shape 191, which is one of my faves. I also think Cavicchi does a beautiful Rhodesian.

Interesting. I have always associated Oom & Bulldogs as traditional English shapes - Parker, GBD, Hardcastle and the like. Egg's, acorns and bamboo - Danish.

jacko":bucjomw8 said:
Interesting. I have always associated Oom & Bulldogs as traditional English shapes - Parker, GBD, Hardcastle and the like. Egg's, acorns and bamboo - Danish.
Totally agree. I just think the stylized versions of those shapes, as practiced by the Danes and Italians, just resonate with me a bit more than the classic archetypes do. Not always, because stylization can be taken too far. The extremely sculptural "art" pieces usually don't do much for me.

jacko":2li4hhxa said:
I have always associated Oom & Bulldogs as traditional English shapes - Parker, GBD, Hardcastle and the like.
With the oom paul, I thought about Peterson, but I couldn't shake that Castello 97 with a saddle bit. Another contender was the Caminetto 151. I had a red one with a yellow/gold marble saddle bit. That was a sharp pipe. Didn't feel as solid, or as natural, as the couple of 97s I've smoked, though.

While I agree with a good handful of your list, I'd say that the Brandy award should go to Peter Heeschen. I own one which is perfect and every other that I've laid eyes on is about as exact as can be. I love the brandy shape and, in my opinion, Heeschen's are the best.

poker -> ardor

the first pipe I ever really wanted was a huge ardor poker, thanks to pipefriendchs over on youutbe. I'll have one someday, when I feel like paying over a hundred bucks on a pipe...