The pipe you most reach for?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend not to reach for a particular pipe as much as a group of pipes. I will smoke my Ardors for a few days then move on to the Beckers for a day then to the Castellos next, etc. Right now, I'm in the Bonfiglioli phase. I've got seven of them so I suspect I'll be with them for the next four days or so. Petersons are great smokers. I've got four of them and they're coming up soon in the rotation.

Also a Team approach.

Embarcadero :

Old Parker Straightgrain A billiard with a LL optomised lucite stem.

Castello Collection Prince gifted by PeeDee last Christmas (or was it two Christmasses ago ?).

Old Loewe "Fawley" billiard w/ LL lucite re-stem.

FVF :

Unpretentious old Peterson Kildare straight bulldog with a Phil Defant re-stem.

Lane-era Charatan "Special" Bent Bulldog with a Dr. Dave lucite re-stem.

Old Bewlay "Special" billiard w/ LL lucite re-stem.

Room for six in the "A Team" rack = six "A Team" pipes. They rotate. Sometimes the reserves get called in off the bench. But these are the A Team.

:face:

I reach for this old savinelli alot. But I do like all my pipes. You can see them in the back ground
IMG069.jpg

Of course it depends on the tobacco, all my pipes are dedicated. But the one single pipe that I absolutely know without a doubt that will give me a great smoke is my Stanwell HCA, with either Uhle's blend 00 or Wessex Burley Slices.

Virginia flakes, an Ashton XXX Sovereign straight billiard.

G.H. & co weed (Curlies, Conniston plug) - a diminutive but sublime GRC bent brandy.

These are the pipes I reach for first when approaching a tobacco I love. There are other great pipes, but for whatever reason these possess some level of perfection with their dedicated tobaccos.

The ones I most reach for:

Peterson 264 Donegal Rocky with an LL lucite stem.

Dunhill group 2 Shell Liverpool from 1961

Dunhill group 4 Tanshell Liverpool from 1969

Charatan 20104 Canadian Belvedere Lane Era

All for Vapers.

I don't know if I've found a favorite. I am really taken back by my leather-wrapped, no-name French bulldog. I don't know what it is. I tried some Squadron Leader in that one, and was never the same.

Any of my Great Dane Spools. They seem to smoke Mac Baren roll cakes better than any other pipe I have.

I smoke a heck of a lot of FVF. My favourite pipe is a GBD New Era billiard that sees smoke every day.

Currently in regular rotation-

Wiley Rhody for mostly ginnys.

Pete Dublin Bulldoggy for Va/Vapers.

Maestro Poker for English blends.

Stanny Legend 19 pretty much dedicated to Red Ribbon/McC 5100.

Savinelli Davids Choice for various non-Lat blends.

Awesome Karl Erik for flakes.

Pete Suprema "Fat Boy" for Lat-forward blends.

Plus others tntc.

Cheers,

RR

Kyle Weiss":xgyucruo said:
I don't know if I've found a favorite. I am really taken back by my leather-wrapped, no-name French bulldog. I don't know what it is. I tried some Squadron Leader in that one, and was never the same.
Kyle - Maybe your French no-name bulldog is a Longchamp. I think they're discontinued now but were made in Paris and very popular during and after WWII.

Lately, this one keeps finding it's way into my mitt for smoking flakes. W.O.Larsen

For English blends, this Castello

Gorgeous Larsen there Harlock!

Simple, my very, very close second choice for ginnyweed is a Neerup paneled bent egg. Fantastic smoker!

Puff Daddy":iecsza7d said:
Gorgeous Larsen there Harlock!

Simple, my very, very close second choice for ginnyweed is a Neerup paneled bent egg. Fantastic smoker!
Thanks!
I have a feeling that whatever it is that necessitated the flattening of the bottom kept it from being at least a Select grade, as the grain is nice all the way around.

IMG070.jpg
I know , I know, I posted my old savinelli earlier, But now I like my peterson 303 best, just lit her up

This is also a group thing, but my heart beats a little faster when I get to the Cavicchi's in my rotation (I have 21 Cavicchi's). I have been known to sneak one in, from time to time, in other parts of the rotation.

Durng the week and when im out and about, my most frequent everyday pipes are a black sandblast stanwell nana design 3, majestic 191 and golden danish 113 as well as a digby i received from last years secret santa and a no name italian pipe that was my first.

On weekends when i have time to sit and realy appreciate a bowl or two i take out the more heavy hitters so to speak, my lasses, rad davis pipes, yakslons, sasquatches, etc. Of these the one i keep reaching for of late is my most recent rad davis acquisition. I'd smoke that thing everyday if i could. Close runners up are a 1/8th bent billiard carved by sasquatch and a yakslon lovat. Both are superb smokers and never fail to provide a fantstic experience.

These all have their own dedicated blends or at least genre, so sometimes it is just a matter of what i feel like smoking that determines who gets called up for duty.

I guess that isnt realy a direct answer to the thread topic, but it's as close as i could bring myself to get :)

The past few months I have grown to adore my Larsen Canadian... I reach for this pipe the most and smoke VApers exclusively. Right now it's my go to pipe in combination with a WONDERFUL tin of Haddo's Delight from 2001 that I opened on thanksgiving. It's the larger one on the left (still haven't smoked the smaller one)
b8a3b40c.jpg

I also smoke a lot of BBF in my Heeschen bent P
27339631.jpg

And I never leave home without my trusty group 3 County Bulldog. This pipe has seen much more travel than any other pipe I own. It's an awesome companion for any errand/trip/mission
f531a6eb.jpg